annoying band member stories

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by metalbass101, Aug 18, 2004.

1. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    This topic is about sharing your expeiriences with that certain annoying musician,how he/she is annoying and more to the point- what you did to piss them off and how they reacted.

I'll go first;

I had this extremely arrogant guitarist once.This guy is very smart,and generally nice, but once you get to know him,god he is just unbearable.I hate how he used to talk big **** about himself and act all cool like he's a tight musician and he's got mad skills.Then when we practise,he get's all depressed and starts saying how much he sucks.When really he did kinda sucked,and all his crap sounded the same.He used to make the hugest deal out of his gear.He had this crappy junked-up peavey (you couldnt even use the tone knob on it and it was noisy as hell) and this little Kustom piece of crap which he bragged about for days 'cuz he worked for every penny of it.(It was 120 bucks) and this nice Boss MT-2 Metal Zone which I'll admit,he had a good setting on it.He sounded alright because of it.

three things he did:

1.He was trying to start this side project with this guy whose had a pro peavey rig and 16 years under his belt,while my former guitarst was 6 months at the time and has his little 15 Watt Kustom-Yet when I was trying to get another guitarist into the band we were in,and a drummer,he just wined and moaned because he didn't want to give up the role of bieng the other guy(Even though we really didn't have any real songs)

2.I hate how my dad offerd to buy/order me some small accsessories (strings,tuners, etc.) and I decided to share the opurtunity with the guitarist.I hooked him up with a new cable,new picks,a tuner, and some Elixer strings.
    The picks and tuner are ok,but he's all "Oh, well this cable really sucks,you should have got,Monster Cables,cuz'Monster Cables are the best" and "I can't use these strings,they're lights.And I used the heavier strings in the lighter spots,and they dont sound ANY better than my other strings.."
    To think I could have got my self I nice Boss Effects pedal if I didn't waste my time on him.

3. I really hate how whenever I try to talk to him he interrupts me by singing and saying he couldn't help it.
    Even though he just plays guitar now he used to think his singing was hot ****.

How I pissed him off....:)

One time we were talking on the phone and I was joking around and did how you say "the Death Metal Scream"
    and he said to never do that again and then I said
    "O well, it's not like you can do much better" LOL
    He called me two days latter wining at me
    "oh..well ..what'd I do to deserve that..????"

He told me that comment really stung. ;)
  2. I played with this guitar player once who was just about the fastest player at my school. So I start talking to him and favorite guitar players came up and we had just about the same names on our lists so we decided to jam. We had only played once and he decides to strart a "serious" band. After about a month ( shows how serious he was ) we get a practice together with a drummer. This guy couldn't play in time if his life depended on it. The drummer ( who's in my current band ) and I just couldn't take it. It turns out this guitar player is the kinda guy who never leaves you alone. He just kept calling me wanting to play but you know how it goes. Anyway...
  3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    SpiralEyes, I LOVE your sig.

The rhythm guitarist has all the makings of a stereotypical lead -- iffy timing, playing way too loud when we're not even practicing, generally big ego. I can ignore that because of the fact he is a genuinely funny, sincere guy. Weird mix.
  4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    wierd guitarists who are self centered and cant play in time...i dont beleive you.
  5. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    The drummer in my old band who was determined to go into a clicky double bass drum barrage whenever he could get away with it. He was all about that friggin' click. In the studio, he was always like "dude can you give me more click on the bass drum?" Oh well, I guess he was just as picky about his tone as I am, after all. ;)
  6. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    The singer in our band was entirely incompetent: he can never come to practice because he works so much, he can't sing... at all, he refuses to put out any money for a new PA (nowhere around here has PAs), and he can't write lyrics, not even a little a bit. AND he has no sense of timing. I told the guitarist I think we should.... you know, get a different singer. He says to me "dude, that would set us back soo much." And I said "I think having a singer who is completely worthless sets us back more." and he says "I'm going to college next year anyways, I don't care. I'm not gonna let some stupid rockstar dream get in the way of my education."

Now here's what's funny. First off, how can you argue that you dont want to do something because it will set the band back when you are planning on leaving in a year anyways? Secondly, his point about education normally would be valid, but we live in BLACKSBURG, VIRGINIA, home of VIRGINIA TECH, and instead he is going to James Madison University. And it's not like he can't get in to Tech, he can easily. He's going there because he doesnt want to be in the same town through college. So if he stayed here and didn't quit the band... his education would be BETTER.

And the drummer recently become somewhat obsessed with metal, and tries to put blast beats into everything. Nothing related to music has ever made me twitch with rage more than blast beats. He was just crazy though, dont get me started on him.

I'm not in this band anymore. I realized everyone in it really rubs me the wrong way. Now the drummer is in a metal band, the singer is still just working alot, and the guitarist took too much methadone and hit some guy's car and then drove away, and will probably lose his license. ha! and HE talks to ME about education.
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The first band I was in had a doozy of a lead singer and the keyboardist was special, too. First, the keyboardist wouldn't come to practice or show up for gigs if it was raining. You see, he has one on those perm ponytails :eyebrow: and didn't want to get his hair wet. Also, he ALWAYS heard songs in a different key. That was VERY frustrating! He was dismissed quickly. As for "Lord Leadsinger", he wanted to dictate what brand of instrument we played. He was told to go to hell. Then he called a band meeting to discuss his unhappiness. He was under the impression that we were his band, and we were there to do as he commanded (his actual words). We told him that that was nowhere NEAR the case, and he said, "Then let's make it so." I told him to "eat meat", and left. We broke up about 2 days later.
  8. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002

Beyond the fact that a "perm ponytail" should be illegal to begin with, if a member of my band didn't show up to a show because it was raining, he'd be fired immediately.
  9. i jammed with a guitarist and drummer for 2 weeks. Both of them were selling/using drugs. At the last jam the guitarist came all strung out after a "busy" night. I abruptly quit the project that day.
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I had a drummer who was too high to play in time. His solution? Smoke more. He actually fell of his stool into a wall, knocking it in. I didn't even speak to him, I just packed my **** and left.

Had a singer who could not sing. He made progress, but never got beyond what I would call an aquired taste that most found sort of annoying. We told him he had to give it up, and that we were going to audition other people. He did everything he could, from playing songs (he was a skilled guitarist) with the absolute wrong feel to saying just the right thing to screw up the person auditioning. He finally sent me an email that left the door open for me to can it, which I did. His ego was horrible, and he really brought out the worst in me. We used to email funny links back and forth, but we've even given that up.
  11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Played with a guitarist who would show up occasionally to jam sessions, and when he did come, he would play with the most ungodly harsh distortion setting on his pedal. Try as we did, we could not find any tone on my bass or our quality guitarist's amp to match his sound. Everything sounded like smooth classic rock with a tone-deaf Dimebag Darrell playing over it. His timing sucked too. After a while, he stopped receiving invitations.
  12. Years ago I played with a drummer who was pretty good, not flashy, really fluid (reminded me of the drummer for Taj Mahal in the 60's) he was in his mid 30s and I was in my mid 20s and he had a lot of money. He was rich and used to getting his way. First, he didn't like our practice studio, so we moved into another studio that another band I was in shared with another band (now 3 bands, one studio). When we got moved in there, he didn't like where his drumset was, and wanted one of the other drummers to move- somehow he got his way about that. Then he started getting pissy about some trivial thing like the place was a mess or something. He got really huffy when he didn't get his way (here's a guy who is there maybe 4 hours a week bossing around people who have been in the studio longer- a few other people used the studio all the time, one of the guys spent most of his time there). Basically, he just kept whining about all kinds of stuff until he was asked to play well with others or leave. He chose to leave.

edit: I totally forgot, he owned the PA and would hang that over everyone- "If you don't move your drumset (rearrange the room, buy the right beer...etc) I'll take my PA back."
  13. I jammed for a while in college in Minneapolis with this really good drummer and adequate guitar player. Things seemed to be going well for the first few weeks......until....

The guitar player started trying to recruit us all into his multi-level marketing scheme. I'm not kidding. He would take us out to eat (the drummer and I were dirt poor and he was pretty rich), and try to sell us on his "unbelievable cash opportunity." He was so desperate to find people to join him we both ended up quitting. Although it wasn't totally quitting, because after we turned him down enough times we just sort of never heard from him again.....
  14. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Haha, great stuff, especially enjoyed 'chuck's, TGboy and cord-guy's stories.

I was in a rock band about 2 years ago, and the singer/guitarist was trying to hook up with these A&R dudes that promised him the world. They asked only for a few small things, like cutting our song times in half (6min to 3.20), making me play root notes at ALL times, making our drummer play NO fills, and making all of us dress in tight jeans and black shirts. The final insult was when one of these A&R dudes told our drummer he needed to lose weight. Churl.

Anyways, our singer/guitarist began to parrot all of this to us, and soon became VERY sorry for himself, as though the rest of us were holding him back from "stardom". Endless "band" meetings, "I just don't think we're all as serious about this...." etc.. It got so bad he began to criticize our clothing choices AT BAND PRACTICE! So we left him. Strangely enough, his new band with the same name is less popular than our previous version, and his A&R buddies have completely deserted him. Not only that, he also destroyed his relationship with our drummer, who was for many years his best friend. Oh well, small price to pay for rock'n'roll fame.

15. keithmoore

Aug 22, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I was in a band once with an egomaniac singer. At the tryout I played my demo, said I was looking for a project that liked my songs and would let me sing one or two in a gig. Singer says no problem, gets me learning a set of their material. No problem, they had cool tunes. After I learn a few I ask if we can check out one of mine and the singer gets all bent out of shape, says, "Look, I'm a singer/songwriter. This is what I do. You're a guitarist. That's what you do." Then he goes on to say my role in the project is to be a guitarist to HIS songs. Of course, he had no problem bringing his acoustic to gigs and busting out some guitar parts of his own. Then he'd get mad at me after gigs if I made a quick joke to the audience between sets, as if I were stealing his front man status. Didn't last long.
  16. mattmcnewf

May 27, 2004
    when my band start 18 months ago we had singer. he was a total idiot, listened to very bad music, was very embarrssing to be aroiund but i accpeted that when we started the band.

But the guy could't sing which that itself was not such a big deal. Because he was the only person stupid enough sing with no talent.
    But he just started to really annoy me after a month of jamming. I started to resent and hate him more and more we constanly got in arguements. He derailed our jamming constanly and decided to spend half our jamms using our guitarist computer. we finally dedcided to kick him out after our first show because i would have quit if we stiill had him and our guitarist wanted to sing to feed his ego.
  17. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The singer who spent twenty thousand bucks on a boob job and lived to tell about it.
  18. ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Our vocalist has failed to show up for our last three jam sessions.
  19. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I was the annoying band member the other other night. I called my guitarist at 3:30 a.m. to see if he was available for a show the following Saturday. After he finished cussing at me, he informed that none of us were available for that date because I had already booked us elsewhere. :bag: In my defense, I didn't expect him to pick up his phone that early in the morning, I was planning on leaving a voicemail message, but there were still several layers of stupidity behind the decision to call him.