1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Annoying problem . . .

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Well, might be getting a marshall 810 soon, still deciding, but one problem that has crossed my mind just this moment is . . .

I was looking at getting a RoadReady case for my SVT-II, which is fine, and it would fit fine ontop of either of the cabs i currently have, but it just clicked with seeing a pic of the marshall 2 seconds ago, about the whole tilt back setup, so the depth of the cab isnt the depth of the flat bit on the top, so if i was to get a RR case, it wouldnt fit ontop of the cab :bawl:

Any ideas? all i can think off it using a square of ply and hoping because most of the weight is towards the front that it wouldnt dive off the back

Either that or removing the rubber feet, but i would rather not do that

Anyone have similar problems with thier fridge cabs and rack units?

- Will

2. My Mesa 400+ in its rack is bigger (its longer) than my Bergie 610 on top. It doesn't really effect the ability to put it there though. It doesn't fall off, and it does not need anything to keep it up there. The weight of the head is plenty.

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Hey Mohawk, My Mesa sus-4 shock case is 24.5" deep
    The rear (case) feet are mounted 16.50" from case front to back of rear rubber feet
    With my cab, (15.25 deep) the rear rubber feet hung out beond the cab. I simply moved the rear feet forword 2 inches.
    These feet just wood screw into the wood floor of the rack.

The 400+ is a front heavy amp and has no problem balancing with this mod. Unless most of the SVT II weight is in the very back, You sould be fine with this mod.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My heads sometimes hang off the back but its no problem.

Worst case scenario, just lay your amp on the floor next to the cab on the floor. Its better for the amp anyways.

5. If your rack is big enough, its a good idea to put the cab on top. It helps reduce the vibration some, and makes it easier to get the cab to ear level. Only problem is if you like to tweak with the controls all night... :meh:

6. What i was considering was just adding another set of feet, that could work, the SVT-II is front heavey too so it should be ok

The amp should be ok ontop im guessing, its a 4U road ready shockmount rack im looking at so being mounted ontop of the cab shouldnt be a problem i hope :)

I could always just use my 2x15 aswell, and sit it ontop of that . . . hahahaha i can see my guitarist loving that, him with his lowley 1x12 combo . . . mwahahahahaha

7. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I think I need to go shopping for 2 more rubber feet.

I heard you speak of your guitarists rig before.

My curent band started out, one guitar, (good player) but with a very boring guitar tone.(Fend.twin)
    I had no hope of prying this old amp away.

You could get a cool, 2nd tube-amp, and split his signal. If his old amp is cleanish, get a dirtyish 2nd amp. If old is dirty, make 2nd clean.
    Let him stand over there and have his old amp, while you got the cool one on your side. (and its knobs!..he he he...:smug:)

The clean/dirty sterio guitar amp thing sounds rich and full to you and the crowd.
    About all he will hear, will be his old amp.

8. Oh i might not need to do that, for the first time ever he realised how much of a difference an amp can make, we were using a different practice room from usual and they had a Marshall JCM900 in there, so im trying to convince him he needs one ;)

9. If you think your guitarists' amp problems are bad, I am trying to convince a guitarist in my metalish band to get a tube amp. He uses some crappy SS head right now, and it sounds like ****.

10. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    The 900 is a pretty weak Marshall IMO, but probably cheap(er) to purchase where you live. I personally own a '71 Super lead and that amp is in a class of its own. But you know what style of music I play and believe it or not, this new crate s/s guitar amp is by far one of the best amps I have heard lately... and its only $699 US list! But I imagine it costs 3x that in scotland. :crying:

http://www.crateamps.com/html/news_release.cfm?nid=43

Your II should be heavy enough that it wont fall off the cab. Just be smart about how you set the amp on top.

11. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Yeah well try convincing a guitarist who has never heard a tube guitar head before that he needs to get something other than a Crate 1x12 crap combo. It's very frustrating.

12. +1

13. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Sounds like you & FireBug should look for other guitarists :D

14. Mine has up until today not thought there was any need to replace his marshal SS 1x12 amp :p

I know the 900's arent the best, i would rather him get an 800, but its his money and all, either that or a master volume head . . . hmm!

15. I dont think we can even get that over here yet :p

And yeah, im guessing ill be fine if im careful with the palcement

Cheers :D