Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Annoying right hand noises

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Merkaba, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Merkaba

Merkaba

Jan 10, 2006
    I am a relativly new player with minimum instruction, but i believe i'm on the right track working on most of my technique. I play using three fingers on my right hand, but for some reason when i hit notes, i get this slapping fast buzz noise type thing, which im guessing is the strings slapping thje neck. I also tried strumming UP more, thinking that it would not slap against hte neck as badly but it still does the same. Is this a problem simply from a lack of experiance or is it because thje action is set too low?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Fret buzz is the result of setup. It could be a few different things though.

What frets do you notice it at?

3. Merkaba

Merkaba

Jan 10, 2006
    its rediculous- i seem to have it on the entierity of my neck. anywhere i play i get the strings slapping a bit against the neck, most noticibly in the low b and e strings but in no frets in particular

4. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    Maybe you're plucking the strings too aggressively. Most bassists try to play with a light touch.

Could also be a setup issue.

Good luck.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Perhaps your plucking too harder with your right hand than your left hand can hold down solidly?

6. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Two choices...either play with a lighter touch, or have someone set up your bass with higher action. The higher action will eliminate the need to play lighter, but your left hand will need to be strong enough to adapt.

7. Merkaba

Merkaba

Jan 10, 2006
    alright thanks very much everyone

8. spindizzy

spindizzy

Apr 12, 2004
    Michigan
    All of these suggestions are fine. I would, after checking the setup on the bass and making sure that its setup correctly, try making your attacks closer to the bridge. The closer you get to the bridge the tighter the string response the further from the bridge the looser it gets. I am not sure if this is, based on your description, the problem but it is a good thing to practice anyway and learning how to vary your position between the bridge and the neck is going to help your playing long term.

9. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Play with curved fingers...

10. BassManDave

BassManDave

Dec 19, 2005
    Make sure that you are not pushing the strings downward toward the neck when you pick. You want to pick so that the string vibrates parallel to the neck and not perpendicular (towards) the frets.

11. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Where is your left hand? You'll get a better sound and less buzz if you fret right behind the fret.

12. trenken

trenken

Apr 24, 2005
    If you have an aggressive attack, combined with the action being low, the strings will slap against the neck. That sounds like your problem to me.

13. is the bass new? seems like music stores love to set there intruments up for the lowest possible action, buzz and all. or your truss rod could need a bit of tweaking. really easy to fix though