Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another ampeg question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sevenbass, Oct 21, 2004.

1. sevenbass

sevenbass Guest

Feb 16, 2002
    Barnsville G.A.
    I finally worked like crazy and got me some good basses, a spector USA neck-through 5 string, and a Stingray 4 string for slapping and when I don't need the growl of the spector. Now I need a good amp. Since I spent all that money on basses I cant get the true 300 watt head, but I am considering the V-4bh. I know it is only a 100 watts but will it be any louader than 100 ss watts? I usually mike my cab for all but the smaller gigs. Will it sound good through a avtar 4x10? I did do a search but just want to make sure before I drop the cash on the amp. I really like the all tube sound and this is all I can afford for about a year and a half.

Thanks
    Dan

2. I considered that amp. There is a local dealer who is offering to sell me a new one with a 210 cab for $1000 or 1,100. I heard they are not very loud. All tube amps do sound subjectively louder but I don't fully understand the reasons why. It has something to do with thier ability to drive nonlinear louds in a linear fashion. Sounds to me like this is marketed as a poor man's svt.

I want somebody to buy this flitesound so I can hear an honest review on it.

3. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Have you considered the Tech 21 Landmark 300 Head? :hyper:

It's got the SansAmp BDDI and RPM preamps in it which can be switched between or mixed! You can get every sound from a full on tube drive to a clean crisp hi-fi tone as well as everything including slap tones in between! It won't break your bank and is extremely reliable :)

4. Ashdown ABM500 EVO 11 job done

5. I wouldn't recommend anything lower then 200 tube watts. I've heard of alot of people complaining about volume issues w/ the V4B. You might not want it now, but you WILL want the power later. Maybe try out the Yorkville/Traynor YBA200...it's a 200 watt tube amp that has gotten great reviews and is very reasonable on price. Don't know how it stacks up to the Ampeg tone, but it's a consideration!

6. sevenbass

sevenbass Guest

Feb 16, 2002
    Barnsville G.A.
    Thanks for all the replies! I was thinking 100 watts would not be enough, but I'd thought I would ask any way. I guess you could say I wanted to be talked out of it, so that is why I posted. I am definetly going to look into the yorkville head though.

Thanks
    Dan

7. My 50 watt tube head is louder than my QSC... any way you could try it at a band practice or something to see how it stacks up?