Another ampeg question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sevenbass, Oct 21, 2004.

1. sevenbass

sevenbass Guest

Feb 16, 2002
    Barnsville G.A.
    I finally worked like crazy and got me some good basses, a spector USA neck-through 5 string, and a Stingray 4 string for slapping and when I don't need the growl of the spector. Now I need a good amp. Since I spent all that money on basses I cant get the true 300 watt head, but I am considering the V-4bh. I know it is only a 100 watts but will it be any louader than 100 ss watts? I usually mike my cab for all but the smaller gigs. Will it sound good through a avtar 4x10? I did do a search but just want to make sure before I drop the cash on the amp. I really like the all tube sound and this is all I can afford for about a year and a half.

Thanks
    Dan

2. I considered that amp. There is a local dealer who is offering to sell me a new one with a 210 cab for $1000 or 1,100. I heard they are not very loud. All tube amps do sound subjectively louder but I don't fully understand the reasons why. It has something to do with thier ability to drive nonlinear louds in a linear fashion. Sounds to me like this is marketed as a poor man's svt.

I want somebody to buy this flitesound so I can hear an honest review on it.

3. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Have you considered the Tech 21 Landmark 300 Head? :hyper:

It's got the SansAmp BDDI and RPM preamps in it which can be switched between or mixed! You can get every sound from a full on tube drive to a clean crisp hi-fi tone as well as everything including slap tones in between! It won't break your bank and is extremely reliable :)

4. Ashdown ABM500 EVO 11 job done

5. I wouldn't recommend anything lower then 200 tube watts. I've heard of alot of people complaining about volume issues w/ the V4B. You might not want it now, but you WILL want the power later. Maybe try out the Yorkville/Traynor YBA200...it's a 200 watt tube amp that has gotten great reviews and is very reasonable on price. Don't know how it stacks up to the Ampeg tone, but it's a consideration!

6. sevenbass

sevenbass Guest

Feb 16, 2002
    Barnsville G.A.
    Thanks for all the replies! I was thinking 100 watts would not be enough, but I'd thought I would ask any way. I guess you could say I wanted to be talked out of it, so that is why I posted. I am definetly going to look into the yorkville head though.

Thanks
    Dan

7. My 50 watt tube head is louder than my QSC... any way you could try it at a band practice or something to see how it stacks up?