1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another GC trip...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingRazor, May 21, 2011.

1. This time I wanted to play some American Fenders.

I tried the American Special Jazz and P basses they had there and wow, I forgot how good MIA Fenders really can be.

I've been playing my SX for a while and it's a nice bass, especially for the money, but then I played on that American Special Jazz neck and was floored by how fast and smooth it was.

Out of curiosity, I picked up one of the standard Fender Jazz basses, the one with an ash body and rosewood fretboard, and gave it a try. The g string was the best I had ever heard...but none of the other strings sounded good, lol. I think it needed new strings.

Also, I am really not a fan of Ampeg, Acoustic, or Markbass amps (which make up 99% of my local GC's amp stock). They all sounded too "gritty" for me, like there was a huge bump in the high mids. I actually prefer playing through my crappy little $70 RMS amp at home.