Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another "Help Me ID this DB" Post

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Chef, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I apologise ahead of time for image quality. It's all I've got from the owner. Owner thinks it was bought in the late 50's, but could be older than that. Attached is a shot of the tag inside, and a really bad shot of the db itself...Guess on the date of mfg would be nice...Valuation guesses welcome. AFAIK, it's not for sale. Asking for a non TB friend of mine.
    He also had a pretty nice 1963 Fender P bass in a closet, well worn, and well loved that I'm taking home to put on new flatwounds, set up action and intonation for his grandson to learn on. Sweeeeeet!

2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I believe it says "Framus" under the little wire globe icon in the lower right...

3. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    Well, according to the label, it is indeed a Framus. The German-based company went under in the 70s, but was resurrected in the 90s; their focus is now on electric guitars. They were also the makers of the infamous mid-century "cutaway" basses. From the pics, it appears to be your basic laminated DB... looks like lacquer, and the FB looks like it could be rosewood or a lower-grade ebony. I highly doubt the bass is of 1950s vintage -- even for a well-cared-for plywood, it looks to be more recent -- perhaps built in the early 70s near Framus' initial demise.

Your friend might have some luck dating the instrument by contacting Framus. They're on the web at http://www.framus.com/home.htm

G/L