1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Another Hofner Bass Day

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hsech, Jun 29, 2014.

1. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    I just got my second German Hofner last week. It's a 2005 Vintage 63 Reissue 500/1. My first Hofner is a 1984 Anniversary (64-84) 500/1. I'm really into short scale basses and light weight amps. The Hofner thump is an acquired taste.

Hv63-2.JPG
    Hv63-3.JPG

2. That's a beauty!

3. Very nice indeed - congrats!

4. Do you play out much with your Hofners? How do you like tapewounds on the '84? I'm thinking of putting some on my '73.

5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Hsech
    That is a beauty! I have wanted one of these since childhood cause Paul played one. I briefly owned a bizarre pawn shop japanese Hofner knockoff that I bought for $25.00, needless to say, it was a nightmare. My son has a Jay Turser knockoff, not bad for a cheap starter bass. It has a bound body and fingerboard. The electronics are a little shaky and the pickguard/TRC is cheap flaky plastic, but the basic wood construction is sound. He plays in the school jazz band, and it has a nice warm thump to it. He wants to put roundwound strings on it to get a little bite. What is the correct string size for this? We ordered a set of medium Scale that didn't seem to fit right, and short scale looks too short. I've found flatwounds labeled "Hofner Beatle Bass", but can't find roundwounds. We actually played a new production Hofner at Guitar Center, it must be their cheap line made in China or Indonesia (Ignition Series?), because it was really a piece of junk, the Jay Turser was much better for half the money. I think they made a big mistake putting out the cheap line as anyone picking one up will think that's what a Hofner is. You have the real deal here!

6. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Dec 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    hsech, that is a beauty! Looks to be in top shape! Enjoy her!

Gilmourisgod, don't count out the ignition, it's not a piece of junk, the strings are junk. Put some flatwounds and you will really like it. Those strings are what really do an injustice to it and I've owned and played them all including a 50 year old Hofner beatle bass and many German reissues. Whether it be a German, CT or Ignition, good strings is what will really take you to a high level of violin bass player bliss :)

7. Was looking at these on the hofner site.... image.

Pet Sounds likes this.
  8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Peacefrog
    Maybe it was the usual GC complete indifference to setup or usual care of an instrument on display. We saw a Squire modified vintage Jazz on display with a truly horrific neck bow, the bass was unplayable. I pointed this out to the crack sales staff, who promised to "have that looked at right away". I came back a few days later, still hanging on the wall in the same condition. I think it's buyer beware, but if you know what to look for you can still get some great deals at GC.

Peacefrog35 likes this.
  9. hsech

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    My 84 Anniversary Hofner has a completely different feel than my newest acquisition. The 84 has a thinner neck. The 63 reissue has a better tone IMO due to the staple pickups. The 84 has shark fin pickups.
    Hof2.JPG

10. hsech

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Looking at your profile, I also had a Farfisa Combo Compact and a Vox Continental at different times in a previous life.

11. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    PeaceFrog's right on the money. Even the imports are great when strung correctly and set up.

El Pelusa likes this.
  12. h2otorched

h2otorched

Jun 21, 2014
    SoCal
    That's a sweet looking Fräulein! In 2010 I manifested a long held dream of owning a Hofner.
    I sat down with the more expensive Getman models, and ended up getting a beautiful
    Club Bass CT. The Club Bass just felt more comfortable to me. I ditched the stock strings
    and put a set of Pyramid Flatwounds on it. I love that thump, it responds easily to
    palm muting techniques and I'm always amazed as huge sound from the 30" scale.

Peacefrog35 likes this.
  13. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Love the hofner thump. Only sold my rogue copy to buy a bass that works in my current band. Congrats she really is beautiful. BTW I used the labellas. I tuned to e flat to relieve a bit of their tension.

14. +1 fran f!

15. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    I have re-discovered my Hofner club. With back issues, nerve damage in left hand; the light weight, small scale, and thumpy tone are three main reasons I'm playing one.

h2otorched likes this.
  16. gndboy

gndboy

Sep 18, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I love playing my Hofner CT Club Bass. Absolutely install better strings. What a fine little bass!

El Pelusa likes this.
  17. Wow! She sure is pretty! How does she compare to the 84 anniversary? I would love a German Hofner to add to my collection.

18. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Beautiful bass! Love my '65.

19. Those are both fine looking Hofner basses. I still have a soft spot of the shark fin models. As previous posters have said, putting on Pyramid flats or Thomastic-Infeld jazzflats for Hofner instruments will do the instruments justice. Thanks for showing them.