Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Home-made EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by paintandsk8, Nov 5, 2004.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Well, Necessity is the story of this bass. I was recquired to play db for jazz ensemble at school. The school provided a Db. The problem was, it was to much hassle to take home on a regular basis to practice and i could not get a loud enough amplified tone out of it. Problem #3, I don't have 1000 dollars to go buy an Eub so after lots of thought I started building.

Here's the bassics

35"scale
    Quatersawn sycamore neck (bolt on)
    maple body
    rosewood fretboard from bob gollihur
    generic electric bass tuners
    D'addario flatwound electric strings (temp)
    bridge is a priece of rosewood on two squares of maple for feet
    rosewood tailpiece
    Pickup - two fishman piezo's under the bridge feet

I'll get some pictures taken tonight and will get around to describing the sound, pro's con's, and so forth.

2. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Too much hassle? I don't think you will find much sympathy here as there are some members that have been toting their basses across the globe for decades. I don't really understand why you did not just put the puckup on the DB rather than creating something that is not a DB. There are quite a few threads on how to combat feedback if that is a problem.

Why did you start with a 35" scale? That kills the project for me as it is not a correct full DB scale. Normal (if there is such) scale is 41.5" scale or so. I believe you have made a stick bass guitar not a EUB.

Sorry to be so harsh but it might have been good to ask before building. There are a ton of luthiers and knowledge on this forum that could have helped. I hope it works out for you.

az

3. Can you see anything with your head stuck THAT far up your butt? :rollno:

It his bass, let him build it how he wants to!

Besides, he's in high school. Ever tried to fit a double bass on a school bus? Maybe he drives, but a double bass doesn't fit in his car; I know a double bass wouldn't fit in my first car, but I didn't get to pick it out, so it wasn't a situation I could control.

I wanted to have a bass that I could leave at home when I was in high school, but like him, couldn't afford one. He said at the beginning of his post that he did have 1000s of dollars for an electric upright, so what makes you think he has 1000s of dollars for a "real" upright?

I get so tired of you double bass purists laying in to anyone and everyone who doesn't want to deal with the trouble of a true double bass! He didn't come here to be treated like a second class bass player just because he decided to make life easier for himself! So until you're willing to either a) buy him a passable bass to practice with at home, b) buy him a car that he can easily transport a bass in, c) drive it around for him, or d) grow up, I don't want to hear anyone else criticize this guy for trying to do things the way HE wants to!

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Paintandsk8, you built something that didn't exist awhile ago, and as a luthier wannabe, that scores points in my book.

I have a new DB student who builds guitars and ukulele for a living. He doesn't own a DB, so he took some measurements, and built himself a 3/4 scale EUB-a very nice one, flamed maple, etc.-in three days! He also borrowed my bass building book, and is starting construction on his first Realbass. I find this guy pretty impressive.

5. Ben Joella

Ben Joella

May 31, 2004
    Boca Raton, FL
    yeah props to Paintandsk8 for taking the time and effort to build something on his own. If I had to guess you learned a ton and are probably thinking of bass number 2 already.

Also, don't sweat the purists, a couple hundred years later, the bass is still not standardized. Keep exploring ;)

6. Oh yeah, I forgot to congratulate you on building something like this while stilll in high school; most impressive!

7. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    If you haven't already read it, Bob has a page of info at his site on building his own EUB. Worth the read for a heads up about potential problem spots. At the risk a getting flamed, to me if the instrument can be plugged in, is played in the upright position, and sounds in the bass range, then you've got yourself an EUB.

Without playing DB, though, I can still see the point that scale length and other factors will certainly make for differences in playing technique. I belive the point of contention is that those differences could then end up becoming bad habits to overcome should you approach a traditional 3/4 acoustic DB in the future. Just be aware.

8. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    I really don't care what he builds, I hope it turns out to be a great bass.

Why yes I have, no it was not easy but it was part of what one does to make it happen.

I believe if you read his post he states the school provides him a "real" DB. If it is your chosen instrument and you have to move it then that is part of the instrument. We all could have chosen the piccolo as our instrument.

Me, a DB purist? You have failed to read my profile and your keystrokes and anger got ahead of you.

So you expect me to do something that was not done for either you or me? Buy him a solution? That does not even classify as a poor argument. I don't know where you come from and I don't know if I have ever read your posts before but the instrument (DB) is what it is. It is a double bass and standard scale of approx. 41.5". You keep mentioning that he is a high school student. Do you feel its OK for him to build something that very could possibly hinder his progresss? Is that OK? He is playing URB in high school; how easy a transition will it be going from 35" scale to 41.5" scale? It is hard enough to get the technique down without throwing different scales into the mix.

I think it is wonderful he is building his own bass, really I do. I don't think it is wonderful that he is building a non-standard scale that may hinder his progress.

I also think Marcus stated something of note, his DB student "took measurments" and then built a fine instrument. That would be a most excellent way to proceed.

Horokito if you don't want to hear criticism and discussion then you are in the wrong place.

az

9. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Ok, finally a pic. sorry so late but i went camping.

Well about the 35" scale length

I knew i that a db scale length is 41.5 inches and the neck width and thickness came from measurements on the db that I had beed playing. My reasons, good or bad, were:

Primarily as a "safety factor". I had heard that longer necks were could cause a dark sound, need a trussroad/reinforcement, and have inctreased chance of dead spots.

Secondly, I didn't/don't have DB strings readily available and they are pricey. 35" scale allows use of flatwound electric strings.

Thirdly, I'm primarily and electric guy so 35" is what my hands know.

Thats why I did it, my next bass will probably be 41.5 inches but thats what experimentation is all about.

I'll type more when i get back in two hours.

Attached Files:

• eub.jpg
      eub.jpg
      File size:
      16.1 KB
      Views:
  10. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    It looks way cool, congrats! Just be very mindful of the scale transitions. Bass guitar is a walk in the park in comparison to DB.

az

11. joemamma

joemamma

Jul 18, 2002
    Hey Paint,
    You did a great job on that bass! I got DB strings @ $10.00 for the set for my washtub bass. The store owner said he never sets up new basses with factory strings and had these around "for guys like me. You may be able to find a music shop like this. The thickness on my bass neck is the same as a DB and no truss rod. The scale is 40" and in 4 months I havn't had any bowing......yet. Again, nice job!

Joe

12. paintandsk8,

:bag:

(peeks head up to see if we're done throwing stones here :D )

I like your bass, your story, and you have plenty of good reasons why you built your bass your way. Now go make music with it and tell us how it's working out for you. :)

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Amen...good job. And when you build a 41.5" scale, don't be afraid to ask around for used strings, just to get it up and running. I usually have all kinds of DB strings laying around, and I often give 'em away.

14. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    thanks for the ideas and compliments. So far I am very happy with the bass and have actually already played live and recorded with it. I haven't heard the recording but i was extremely happy with the sound live, as were my band mates.

goodbass nailed it when he said that i probably learned alot, and yes #2 is in the works

15. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    BTW,

Are they any online plans on how to build your own EUB? I want to build a regular 41 inch EUB. Just for fun, in the summer.

16. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    There's tons of info out there. Bob gollihur has his own project as well as links to tons of other peoples stuff. It's all at www.urbbob.com in the links section, you should be able to find it.

17. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN