Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Another Mbox Question

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bassjamn, Jul 28, 2004.

1. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I searched thru the recording forums and was considering a Emu but thought i would go for an Mbox due to it being kind of mainstream.

The Mbox seems to do all that i need, 1 instrument at a time via analog inputs.
    I also need some sort of keyboard synth patches, and drum loops
    but i heard a lot of the bundled stuff is only shareware :confused:

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Not quite sure what your question is but......

You may want to get yourself a copy of Reason. Pretty solid piece of software that you can run in conjunction with Pro Tools via Rewire. However you are going to need a MIDI controller of some sort. Also if you did not already know, the MBox does not MIDI I/O so you will have to find another way to take care of your MIDI.

3. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Reason sounds good, Though my main question i was not too clear on was i heard rumors the Mbox bundled software was mostly shareware... with very limited use.

I used to use cakewalk/drag and drop drummer but i found the drum loops were pretty limited since you could not program them. Fruity loops turned out pretty well.

I just wanted to make the switch to an Mbox/pro tools and get a similar drum programming piece of software. I was hoping to find another piece of software for synth sounds rather then do it thru a midi interface.

4. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Yeah, the software that Digi gives you with the Mbox is pretty much sh**. You know I still think Reason would do a lot for you, but there is certainly a plethora of softsynths and samplers out there. Maybey even try Acid if'n you be use'n a PC.

5. my band used an Mbox to do the over dubs for our album...it worked great....yah the provided software is limited...but it does enough to get the job done.

one of my hobbies is taping live shows so Im currently saving up for...

a new pair of AKG 480 mics>Mbox (since it's USB powered and has 2 focusrite preamps)> Apple Supercharged Ibook or Powerbook (and 2 extra batteries)

then I can just take it home and have a home studio (limited to 2 channels...but it'll serve until I can afford a Digi 002)

I really enjoy Mbox...can't wait to get one!