Another question about conflicting bands

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Mellem, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    Hi everyone. I used to be a more prominent poster, but kind of lost touch with posting and bass playing. I've since found the light again, and now I'm in college looking for a band to jam with. Maybe I'll start posting a lot, but I feel like I never have anything to add that hasn't been said. But that's not the point.

I started playing with a group of guys, sort of a band in the making, but they don't practice at regular times, or consistently, so I was thinking of looking for something else. They also drink and party a lot, which there's nothing wrong with, but it's not my style. So I was thinking about looking for other bands to play with, and found some adds and things. I don't know if I should pursue other opportunities though, because I kind of have a commitment, and I get along with the guys. They are also really good, so I'm reluctant to leave.
  2. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    IF YOU are serious about your current band, in your position, I would approach the other band members and ask for their opinion.

I dont see why they should have any expectations of you the way you describe the situation, and if they do, maybe its for the best that you do look for other opportunities. That said, I only stayed w/ bands if I was enjoying myself. Once it stops being fun, its over.... :cool:

:ninja: :edit: BTW, welcome back! :bassist: :ninja:
  3. Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    Thanks for the welcome! I guess I really enjoy playing with them, but they aren't serious enough (as far as practicing at set times and such) for my taste. But I don't know if this is just how things are trying to jam in college settings, or if I could probably find a better set up.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    considering how lose they seem to be im sure you have tiem to look for a better set up. college is one of the best times to be in a band because its much easier to develop a following. if you're serious i think you should look elsewhere
  5. well, I was in sort of the same situation a while ago, and the guitarist is actually my best friend.

Just talk to them, you will be surprised, they might just say "ok, we understand, go ahead" :D
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you have the time, you can do more than one band at a time. I've been in as many as four at one time.
  7. I say this: talk to each group member individually and ask if they are willing to take this band VERY seriously to get something going. Once you know who wants to stay serious, talk to the entire group and address the situation, and if they can clean up their act, then they can join you. If they aren't, let them go their own way, and just hang out with them. I know it isn't the greatest thing to do, but I had a guy that used to be in my group that did not have the skills, time, or will to learn on his own, the material that we were working on. I TRIED to encourage him to work on things, but he insisted on screwing around, so I simply stopped calling.

if rehearsal time is an issue, try and set six hours once a week on one day; if things still don't work, it's time to move on
  8. Mellem

Feb 1, 2002
    Greenville, MI
    Wow, thanks you guys. Yeah, I think the general consensus is to look elsewhere, or question the band and see if it's going to get better. I'm thinking of brianrost's idea; maybe just start playing with some other guys, and if the one band barely practices there shouldn't be much of a scheduling conflict.

I can definitely sense already that college is a much better place for musical aspirations than high school. A couple of years ago I would have given my left nut to find a good band looking for a bass player, even if they're lazy, but now I found it and it's not good enough, lol.