Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

another quick question about impedance..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by inputoutput, Oct 30, 2005.

1. inputoutput

inputoutput

Oct 4, 2005
    i've been trying to figure this out, but i'm having trouble finding adequate resources. i am using a traynor yba-3 custom special [a classic canadian tube head, rated at about 160w at 4 ohms]. as far as i can tell, this amp has a 4 ohm output [from the main speaker jack]. according to manufacturer specifications, the extension port is wired in series [so that i would need two 2 ohm cabs, or one 4 ohm load]

this is where i run into a problem. i have two swr cabs [2x10, and a 1x15], both rated at 8 ohms. if i run both out of the main + ext ports, i would have a 16 ohm load.

can this tube amp handle this? or is this going to result in an overworked amp? unfortunately, i don't have access to any 4 ohm cabs.. guh.

thanks so much in advance.

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Daisy-chain the two cabs, and run them off one output.

3. inputoutput

inputoutput

Oct 4, 2005
    regardless of whether i run them daisy-chained or from the ext port [because it is wired as being in series], it's still going to be a 16 ohm load [because 8 ohm + 8 ohm in series = 16 ohm]. if my output port is rated at 4 ohms, would the impedance mismatch [ie. the 16 ohm load from the two cabs either daisy chained or ext ported] cause serious damage to either the amp or the speakers?

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    He is suggesting that most common cabs which have (2) jacks on them, are wired so that if you use those jacks to daisy-chain, you are connecting your cabs in parallel.

So- you connect your cabs together using the jacks on the back of the cabs, and the amp sees a single 4 ohm load- the sum of the 2 cabs in parallel.

Amp --- cab --- cab

Whether the jacks on the amp are wired in series or not is only relevant if you are using both jacks, which is not what is being suggested. My *guess* is that those jacks on the amp are designed to be a dead short when not in use, so that you can use one if you like. Tube amps tolerate a dead short but an open connection is bad news; solid state amps are just the opposite.

5. inputoutput

inputoutput

Oct 4, 2005
    i wasn't aware that the output jack on the back of the swr cabs was a direct output [resulting in a parallel wiring configuration].. that's great! i always assumed that it was a series configuration.

thanks!

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    They're almost invariably parallel connections in that situation.