1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Another What Should I buy Thread!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EasyMurder, Jan 19, 2012.

1. EasyMurder

EasyMurder

Jul 31, 2011
    Well i posted a similar thread a few weeks ago but now I've raised my budget. I am upgrading from a Squire Affinity P Bass. I play rock,pop and the occasional funk and blues song. I'm pitting the Schecter Stiletto Extreme 4 against the Squier Deluxe Active Jazz Bass IV.
    Here in Australia most basses are more expensive than in America.
    Here are links to my local music stores so you can get an idea what my choices are and the prices:

Bass Guitars - Buy Cheap Online Australia | DW Music

Bass Guitars - Guitars | Better Music

Guitars - Electric Basses - Pro Audio Supplies

PIRANA MUSIC CANBERRA Pirana Music Academy, Guitar lessons,Northside Music Centre, Pianos School,Amplifiers,Guitars,Music Lessons,Drums,Keyboards, Recording,PA,Powered Speakers,Violins,Flutes PA,Flute,Microphones,Recording, Keyboards, Bass, Lights,Br

2. EasyMurder

EasyMurder

Jul 31, 2011
    anyone?...:help:

3. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    I had a squire active jazz V once, the neck was way too thick (thicker than my 6) I had to sand it a lot. Plus it will eat the battery quick. You might want to go with a standard bass, the MIM ones. And I know some basses in Australia are more expensive, I tried buying an esp (not ltd btw) from japan, the halibut 4, and they were charging over 3 thousand usd, minus shipping. Last tip go to your local guitar shop and play some of the basses their,you never know what you might fall in love with.

4. EasyMurder

EasyMurder

Jul 31, 2011
    I would've thought that the jazz bass neck would be really thin

5. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    It was just bad craftsman ship, plus they rnt even made in mexico, their made in china/indonesia. Its either hit or miss with them.

6. I have a Squier Jazz Deluxe V and yes, the neck is quite thick (51mm nut width) but the battery life is not short. I can go 8 months with regular use on one battery, and even then it doesn't need changing, but i do anyway.

Liam

7. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I've only played Schecters in stores and can't comment on them other than to say the ones I've tried seem nice and they have a pretty good following here. Oh, I sing in a church choir and I have noticed that one of our bass players has at least two of them so I would suppose he is happy with his.

I do own a Fender MIM Active Jazz IV and have played the Squier version in stores. They are both great basses. They give a broad range of tones and I find the necks to be perfect, "thin and fast" though stereotypical is the comment that applies here. I might well have gone with the Squier except that I have wanted a Fender since I was a boy and I wanted the hum canceling pickups the Fender features. I've never played with it but the Squier version's preamp offers a slap switch which the Fender version lacks. I have also played the Squier Active V (I'm looking for a fiver) in stores and while the neck is wide (side to side) it is thin (front to back) and is actually one of the five strings that fits me best. But you are looking for a four and I think the Squire Active Jazz IV is a good choice that will serve you well. Personally I find the black version to be quite handsome as well.

Ken

8. EasyMurder

EasyMurder

Jul 31, 2011
    I've decided that i will buy the Schecter as the ebanol neck on the Jazz Bass is a tad uncomfortable for me. I like the slap switch tho