1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

another what wood is this thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by calcuttalowend, Apr 16, 2009.

1. calcuttalowend

calcuttalowend

Dec 13, 2008
    right so this is a local made that i picked up, its from one of the reputed guitar makers in india GB&A - they do really good copies; got it for around 200$. thing is i feel i dont know enough about my own bass so could someone tell me what wood this is (fingerboard and body)? and what bass its a copy of? btw sorry im quite the gear noob o_O

3446699201_284559e631.
    3447513166_f8fb9a0640.
    3447513016_a1f694d917.
    3447512876_6619508ddb.
    3447512712_2fc5ae2de8.
    3447512546_52102d3a0c.

thanks!

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Not sure about the woods, but I can tell you that the action on it is atrociously high. You're probably putting a bow in the neck with it that high.

3. maxbass

maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    why do you care about the woods?
    Anyway:
    Neck= Maple
    Fingerboard = Rosewood
    Body = unknown, unless you don't post a closer picture.It seems that you have a covering finish on the back and a see through on the front. It could have different woods, one for the top and one for rest of the body.

4. The neck is Maple.
    The fretboard is Rosewood.
    I have no idea what the body wood is.

5. sarnz

sarnz

Oct 6, 2008
    cool looking bass but as someone said you could park a car under those strings

6. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    That's wengo bada-bubinga burled walnut with ebonacious mahoganite.

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    AKA: Maple/Rosewood ;)

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Honestly, that looks like a very cheapo copy of an ibanez with horrible action to boot.

9. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Woah!! That's your opinion. Who are we to judge a piece of crap with gross action?

10. Hutch1

Hutch1

Mar 19, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    . . . with "Boutique" action!

11. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Maple neck with a rosewood board. For body woods, I'd bet on alder, basswood or poplar with a maple photo-top or veneer. Probably a photo-top, if you picked it up for $200.

Looks like any generic PJ to me. Nothing I wouldn't expect to see coming out of, say, the Cort factory. It's got some similarities to the Ibanez SR, but the fingerboard extension is going in the wrong direction and it's missing the rounded edges on the body. Headstock looks distinctly SR inspired to me, though. Definitely based on SOMETHING manufactured by Cort.

12. Soverntear

Soverntear

Mar 17, 2008
    Toronto
    wow that thing needs a setup, otherwise i dig it

13. calcuttalowend

calcuttalowend

Dec 13, 2008
    haha about the action i agree i need to change the nut. its only because i also need to change the 10th fret and get new strings also that i've been meaning to do it all together and postponing it quite criminally. why do i care what wood it is? no harm knowing what your baby's made of eh?:p
    otherwise price wise yes it was on the low side (pun unintended, okay sorry:p) but its got good tone and is very playable

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I doubt that the nut is causing that, at least if it's the nut that came with the bass. I'd look at adjusting the trussrod as well as the action at the bridge. Why are you replacing the 10th fret?

15. calcuttalowend

calcuttalowend

Dec 13, 2008
    yes have to lower bridge action as well just checked it and haha its a little high to say the least... the 10th fret buzzes horribly at the F on the G string
    sorry for the ignorance but how would adjusting the truss rod help?

16. adjusting the truss rod is what stiffens or loosens the neck. right now it's probably very loose, so if you tighten it, the strings will move closer to the fretboard.