1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anthony Jackson info needed

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by csala, May 9, 2006.

1. csala

csala

Aug 14, 2005
    Santa Monica, Ca
    I've been reading about him for years, heard some of his stuff like Chaka, but don't feel I've been thoroughly exposed to him. Please help me out and give me some info on what you guys and gals think I should pick up which really represents what makes him such a respected bass player. What are the ultimate albums with Anthony Jackson's bass playing???

Thanks

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    To see him at his best, look for albums by Michel Camillo and Steve Khan. Some of his older stuff with Al DiMeola is great too. Anthony Jackson so respected because he pretty much made the BEADG six string bass acceptable. As for his playing, he is awesome in his harmonic knowledge. He took Jamerson's approach and increased to virtually the ultimate level.

3. You absolutely must explore the older Al DiMeola material. Anthony is amazing on all of it. Try "Elegant Gypsy"

4. Check out Lee Ritenour's "Overtime" DVD to see him in action!

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    Simon and Garfunkel's "Live at Central Park" is a great showcase of AJ's command of the instrument. I've always loved the soundtrack to the movie "The Wiz" which he played on as well.

In terms of individual tunes, the O'Jays "For The Love of Money" and "Glamour Profession" by Donald Fagen are great too. I'm pretty sure he played four string on all these releases I've mentioned.

For a more up-to-date project, I'd recommend "Triangulo" by Michel Camilo.

6. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    AJ invented the six-string bass or as he prefers to call it the contrabass guitar. Especially since uses very low tunings. The Lee Ritenour CD and DVD Overtime is great example of AJ's playing. Also their is a Yahoo group on AJ with lots of pictures and links to videos of him.

Another aspect of AJ is he is a perfectionist not only in his playing, but his gear. The Groove Shoppe has a discussion board and they talk about AJ's gear and his Fodera model bass.

7. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Go to Michel Camilo's website. There is a video of them performing "Calle 54" which shows Anthony playing his 6 string Fodera.

It's a good one to check out!

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    True, although he did eventually modify his 4-string Fender...pre-BEADGC.

I agree 100% with the Steve Khan/Eyewitness band suggestions...good luck in finding them.
    Also agree that the Michel Camillo albums are great.

Jackson's "Pop' stuff is stellar...O'Jays, Steely Dan/Donald Fagen, Chaka, etc.

9. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I just picked up a new disc with AJ on it, "Flashpoint". Steve Smith, Dave Liebman, Anthony Jackson and Aydin Essen. It's a fusion project, but I haven't had a chance to really delve in yet.

I got to know his playing by seeing him at the 55Bar on Thursday nights with Wayne Krantz and Keith Karlock/Ari Hoenig on drums. If you ever have the chance...damn, they ****ing kill!

Also, Anthony's tone live in that setting is incredible. Big, thick, but rich and present at the same time...it's perfect.

10. Sounbwoy

Sounbwoy Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Clayton, NC
    Don't forget, "Love of Money"-The O'Jays. That was AJ on the bass, and was the first to use that effect on bass...
    He also plays reggae and does a good job of it. Ernest Ranglin's CD = "Gotcha!" I think it's named.

11. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    i'm probably going to Blues Alley in DC on Monday to see Mike Stern, and Anthony Jackson's on bass... i'll report back

12. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Sounds pretty sweet. Who's playing drums?

13. sricabla

sricabla

Jul 4, 2003
    San Francisco
    If you can find the CD Harvey Mason "Funk in a Mason Jar" AJ plays a great solo on that album!

14. Also, check out "Lee Ritenour & Friends Live from the Cocoanut Grove" DVD. AJ does some nice work on that. Brian Bromberg also plays on this video and does some ridiculous upright stuff.

15. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa

Dave Weckl... this show's going to be INSANE

16. AJ plays on the Rob Whitlock (great pianist) cd "Sketchin'"

definitely worth checking out.

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Here's a clip of AJ with Michel Camilo and El Negro Hernandez

18. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    HEY! AJ on bass a long time ago with Michael Petrucciani!!!
    Shows in detail his thumb technique.

Steve Gadd on drums. Oh yeah.

19. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Here's another. Even better.

AJ's solo is just wicked. No lines, all chordal and walking, and notice the high ass action on his bass.

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    A couple of more