1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anthony Wellington Bass Masterclass

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by vishalicious, Apr 1, 2015.

1. vishalicious

vishalicious

Mar 31, 2011
    Yonkers, NY
    Have you all seen this masterclass from Anthony Wellington from last summer (June 17, 2014)? Its got a lot of interesting information.

Anthony Wellington Bass Masterclass

Dug2, Joce and GastonD like this.
  2. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I have, and it is great. Ant is one of those doctors who tell you things you wouldn't wanna hear and make you take bitter meds, but that's all for your own good.

vishalicious likes this.
  3. Joce

Joce

Jul 20, 2005
    Europe
    Thanks for posting that, it's great!

4. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    thanks for sharing that.

5. vishalicious

vishalicious

Mar 31, 2011
    Yonkers, NY
    You're welcome.

Honestly - with the sheer experience the rest of YOU people have, I'm glad I can contribute SOMETHING to these forums. ;)

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Skype lessons with Anthony has been on my GAS (LAS?) list for some time, him and Jeff Berlin. Mind you, I need to gear to do lessons over skype first!

7. vishalicious

vishalicious

Mar 31, 2011
    Yonkers, NY
    I think all you'd need is a webcam and microphone - and broadband, of course. Most laptops and tablets come with that built-in. You can hook a lot of them up to a large-screen TV with a VGA port or an HDMI port as well.

8. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I just watched the whole thing.
    I really like Anthony's point (around 1:00 )that many players think they "know" a given musical idea
    when in reality what they have is the ability to figure it out quickly
    (certainly where most of my "knowledge" is at)

his example of showing how quickly anyone can answer "what's 5 x 5 ?" versus "what's 13 x 17?" demonstrates it well.
    Most people answer "what's 5 x 5 ?" instantly
    but have to slow down and figure out "what's 13 x 17?"
    And at 120 bpm you don't have that luxury.

Now I will never feel like i have nothing to practice.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    vishalicious likes this.
  9. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I had my first lesson with him yesterday, and it was all I expected of it - quickly identified, brutally zoomed in on my weaknesses and prescribed the adequate medicine :jawdrop:
    Even though the whole experience is very humbling, Ant himself is so nice that in the end you're left felling really cool about it. I will certainly go for more.

vishalicious likes this.
  10. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    here's 3 hours of Anthony Wellington Clinic Bass Club Chicago 4/5/2014 (Audio Only)

Humbling indeed.
    Most of what I "know" is just things i can "figure out"
    I'm off to practice every C on my bass now

vishalicious likes this.
  11. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Just listened to the whole entire class! Amazing is all I can really say! I wasn't able to take lessons from Ant due to some unfortunate technical issues but just conversing with him made me take an academic approach to my bass playing.

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have been working with Ant since last year and I agree with you totally.

I leave almost every lesson frustrated but after I digest what we worked on, I start getting it and am able to apply what I learned.

Amazing teacher for sure.

13. I studied with Ant once a week for 4 years and recorded all of my lessons. It's been a couple of years since I was his "formal" student but I still find gems of info when I review even the earliest lessons. His most casual comments can contain a wealth of knowledge...

GastonD likes this.
  14. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for posting this.

I took my first bass lessons with Anthony many years ago. He's a great guy and a great teacher. I'd love to get hooked up with him again for a few refresher lessons.

15. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    This deserves a bump. A lot of great information in this clinic. I’m on my third time listening.

It’s so easy to convince ourselves that we “know” something and move on to another topic before something has truly been ingrained.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018