1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Antique store find

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Troberts 98, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Troberts 98

Troberts 98

Jan 30, 2017
    image. image. image. image. found this at local antique store. Listed as a 1970s p bass. Clearly wrong! Checking the serial number and other details it's a California special from the 90s. Pick ups and tuners look original but I don't think the Badass bridge is stock. So! Do I try and put this back to as close to stock with the anodized pick guard or I was thinking going with tort. I'm assuming it's wired the same as the Jazz bass because the output jack is moved to the outside edge. It has a typical 13 hole pattern for the pick guard. Am I right in thinking that the tone control pot would go in to the third hole of the pick guard?
    I'm only into it for $150cdn so would like to put back together and see if it's a keeper.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Looks like a score if the neck is straight.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Not sure about the holes in the guard. But nice bass!

4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Great deal. Some fun cleaning and assembly and you have a cool bass. Either guard would look good IMO. Tone does go in the third hole nearest the outside of the body. Picture it up when you finished.

5. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Those Cali Specials were nice. Great score !

6. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Am I right in thinking that the tone control pot would go in to the third hole of the pick guard?

Yes VVT just like a Jazz Bass

7. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    Very nice, keep us updated.

gelinas666 likes this.
  8. Nice find! I used to have one in CAR and it was a great bass,and the CaliSpecial model is sort of rare,too.The 13 hole anodized pickguard is the way I would go,and the control layout is as you figured,VVT.

9. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Nicely done, wow.

10. Troberts 98

Troberts 98

Jan 30, 2017
    Haven't strung it yet but even if the neck is toast I have a pretty good start on something I can relic for fun and not a whole lot of money. I will update the thread when finished. Thanks for the info on controls

11. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Mar 28, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    Throw a Sadowski control plate/preamp on that sucker. Would sound amazing...as I'm sure anything you do to it will.

12. DChalo

DChalo

Dec 16, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Fire the drum.... ahh not relevant.

Nice score though!

13. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    That's a great deal! The bridge alone is worth more than half of it.

A-Step-Towards likes this.
  14. Lee Kirkham

Lee Kirkham

Jan 14, 2013
    Gilbert, AZ
    Here's hoping the truss rod works. If so, then great find. As far as wiring is concerned, you can follow a Jazz Bass wiring chart, pretty straight forward.

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Judging by the lack of strings, I'd have to say it's the ultra rare California Series Air Bass.

...... and yes, it's the best Air Bass for metal.

Gaolee, jaybones and 12BitSlab like this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

wow! neat find. i'm not one who would be concerned about a 'resoration', but i'd be anxious to know if (when it had all of its parts) it could be a player. i hope it turns out for you. :thumbsup:

17. b/o 402

b/o 402

Jul 14, 2015
    DC & RVA
    I'd get a nice tort guard, anodized always looks off to me with RW/TSB. Nice score!

Glazenn likes this.
  18. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    Nice score! My PJ basses are factorywired VVT, hence the jack has been moved to the side. Here's a standard PJ wiring diagram:
    Wiring Diagrams

19. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    It's always relevant to fire the drummer!

Rabidhamster, Gaolee and DChalo like this.
  20. Plucker Tom

Plucker Tom

Dec 29, 2014
    Philly
    so.? what makes these SO SPECIAL anyways..?? whats the dealio