1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any Advice!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Holiwud, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Holiwud

Holiwud

Oct 1, 2008
    So i recently joined a band that only needed a bassist, And I volunteered. Needless to say I had never played bass before, although I am very good at guitar and i also drum. SO we have been jamming for about 6 weeks now and have 6 originals recorded. So just revently we got a gig at a local night club and im just a little stressed about my lack of bass knowledge.

Any advice for a 1st timer? Is it okay to use a pick? I have a crappy $200 yahmaha bass btw.:bassist:

2. cbass717

cbass717

Jun 30, 2008
    just turn ur amp a little down. thts what i did my first show. picks are fine but it depends on what type of music. punk= pick, jazz= no pick. and just stay cool and try to hold a grove

3. Just do what you do at rehearsal. If it sounds good there then it should sound good at the gig. If you're nervous I'd suggest picturing everyone in their underwear in your mind.

As far as picks go, there's no rules saying you can't so go ahead, Chris Squire did it.

4. danjl131

danjl131

Jun 10, 2008
    picks are a preference (i rarely use em i find they take away some bottom endness and can be too trebly if not eq'd right) but hey its ur tone and ur bass its up to u. regarding the gig, if theres a sound guy u can usually trust him. if not u obviously need to turn up but maintain the volume ratio amongst the instruments. i was nervous at my first gig, but theres nothing like showing ur talent to the public :hyper:

5. shatterd

shatterd

Feb 24, 2008
    Practice alone, rehearse with band, know your songs, and stick with it. Start listening to different bassists and pick out a few you really like(I personally love Myung and Geddy Lee). Find out if they use pics or fingerstyle. That will help you determine which way to go regarding using the pic. I saw that Geddy and Myung use fingers, so I decided that was what I wanted to do. However, I also love the basssist in Tool and he uses pick.

6. Holiwud

Holiwud

Oct 1, 2008
    Alright thanks alot! Also when im holding a baisc bassline should i hit every beat or just every 4th note or does that not matter either? lol

7. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    Just go with what feels right. You'll know it once you start rolling.
    And don't sweat the small stuff. Go have fun.

8. Holiwud

Holiwud

Oct 1, 2008
    sounds good thanks guys

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    All eighth notes all the time.

But seriously, one and three are good beats to play on, but use a leading note or ghost note occasionally, and don't be afraid to syncopate if the spirit moves you. Throw in a walk-up every now and then, perhaps an arpeggio or two, and make sure to end EVERY song with a GIANT glissando sliding down the E string. You'll sound like a pro.

10. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Yea, I've often found that my favorite bass players play completely different from me.

11. No one ever notices the bass player- except other bass players, & they're all on TB. :)

12. bassicsax

bassicsax Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    pay attention to the kick drum, you are closer linked to it than any part of the band...

13. De Gier Guitars

De Gier Guitars

Sep 5, 2008
    Schiedam, The Netherlands
    Repairs, setups, pr & marketing for DeGier Guitars.
    Like the others say, have fun... All will fall into its place. :bassist: