1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Any big difference between Delano and SGD?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kabal, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    Looking at Twin-J and P. Can't find many Youtube clips. Both are highly praised on TB. Anyone done an a/b and detect much of a difference in voice? Price seems to be the biggest difference at this point.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I have pickups from both (not Twin Jazz though) and both are superb.

I see it like this. If you need the pickups today, Delano is your only shot. If you can wait 1 or two months, SGD will not disappoint.

3. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    One or two? I ordered mine in March or April. Tomorrow is the last day of july. Still waiting. . . .

4. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    That's no good.....that might put them out of the running. I wonder if anyone ever put a twin jazz in the neck position?

5. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    I have TJ in my Warwick Dolphin, but they are MEC and active. I have a P/J, J/MM, and a J/TJ. I personally prefer the J/MM config, but they all have their uses. I use the P/J more like a P, with some color from the J. The J/MM is hot and aggressive, very flexible. My J/TJ is a bit too polite for what I normally play, but honestly I mostly use the TJ in the single coil mode so I use it more like a Jazz bass config.
    Sorry no sound clips.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Sorry about that. I'm unusually behind with orders due to my move in May. I'm finishing yours up right now (along with newer orders).

7. GroovinOnFunk

GroovinOnFunk Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Endorses Cleartone and SIT Strings
    Can't go wrong with either one. I ultimately went with Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2 for my jazz bass.
    SGD to me sounds like a modern take on a vintage tone.
    Delano is a modern take on modern tone. Huge punch-you-in-the-face sound. Sounds just like the big ferrite pole pieces look. Big, round, attention grabbing.
    Works for me.