1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any one have a Warwick Katana? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PBFACTOR, Sep 16, 2011.

1. MasterMonkeyMan

MasterMonkeyMan Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I play it still. 5 string NT. Sweet bass.

byoung93888 and Driven Crane like this.
  2. Charlzm

Charlzm Guest

Mar 25, 2011
    I still have mine. Just finished recording 8 songs for my band's album: I used the Katana on two songs. It's got that single-coil Jazz bass sound but with so much more articulation and clarity.

3. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    They seem like a Warwickian answer to a '70s j-bass.

byoung93888 likes this.
  4. Very much so, and they should be viewed in this sort of mindset - if you're after a readily attainable singlecoil J equipped Warwick, it's either the Katana or the Corvette Standard because Streamer Stage II's have always been relatively pricey. I discount the Thumb BO from this list because it has a much more distinctive tone, not jazz-like in my opinion.

zortation likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    A TalkBass thread about cool basses with no pics.

Who ARE you people???????

:wacky:

zortation and superheavyfunk like this.
  6. MasterMonkeyMan

MasterMonkeyMan Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Allow me to be the first -

KNT5_Body_02.jpg

7. Charlzm

Charlzm Guest

Mar 25, 2011
    My Katana was a little north of $4k when I bought it about a decade ago, when it was still a production model. Now that it's custom shop only, I see the price has gone up to around $6k.

Streamer Stage II's must certainly be less than that!

8. Charlzm

Charlzm Guest

Mar 25, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah that grain is pic worthy...... and matches the dish towels too! :hyper:

10. Charlzm

Charlzm Guest

Mar 25, 2011
    What can I say? I like blue and green. :)

two fingers likes this.
  11. Yes, but like for like, the Stage II is more expensive. A used Stage II against a new Katana will be priced more favourably.

12. Grave digging this thread. I bought a used Katana NT last year and absolutely love it. I've mostly been playing a SSII for the last 15 years and had kinda forgotten how compressed the sound is compared to more traditional bass woods. It must be the combo maple neck and maple/ash body but my Katana just sings. It feels like the body is huge compared to a Streamer but it's not actually that much bigger. Also, weirdly, to me it has a P bass "thump" even with the Jazz pickups. After some time the looks even grew on me, I call it the Booty Bass because of the humps on the body's backside. If you get a chance I highly recommend playing one.

songwriter21, Charlzm and byoung93888 like this.
  13. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I had one for a while some years ago. Craziest deal I ever got and probably will ever get on a bass. It was a 4 string NT with flame top like the 5 string a few posts back. It was brand new but had been at Guitar Center for 2 years or something. They had it tagged at $400 and I bought it immediately! Nothing was wrong with it and played/sounded great.

I didn't play it much and eventually traded it off. Aside from being an amazing instrument I couldn't get over the looks. The body shape just doesn't do it for me.

SC Bassboy likes this.
  14. Charlzm

Charlzm Guest

Mar 25, 2011
    Sadly, mine sits in a case now, all these years later. I have moved on to 5 strings and Dingwalls are my current obsession. I still own my Katana because I won't sell it for what I can get for it. Let my heirs figure out what to do with it, I guess.

15. That reminds me of a meme I see sometimes that says "If I die please don't let my wife sell my basses for what I told her they cost". Last year I started writing the price I paid for a bass inside the control cavity. Hope that helps somebody after I'm gone haha

seedokebass likes this.
  16. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I just snagged one...should be here next week.

Sid the Kid likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021