1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any recommendations for a nice, powerful modern combo amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Edword, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Just sold my trusty Ampeg Portabass 228 to a bud, time to move on.

Anyone had good luck with one of the current brands/models out there?

BTW, I'm not trying to achieve any particular tone, rather looking for an amp with an unfamiliar tone that I can explore/experiment with. Also looking for as much wattage as I can get, the 228 was 200W and was just about adequate for my band's rehearsals. It'd be great to have more on tap, and possibly to do smaller gigs with.

TIA

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Budget?

3. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    If I like it I'll buy it.

mindwell and wintremute like this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Carvin, GK, Ampeg, Markbass, Fender, and many others make good amps - really depends on what you want to spend. I would say look for a 300 watt amp with a pair of 10s, a 12 or a fifteen, and then look to get a second matching cabinet if you expect to gig without FOH support.

5. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Thanks, I'll see what Fender's got. Oddly, that's one brand of amp I don't already have.

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Highly recommend the GK MB series. I happen to have the 112-ii (200w) and 212-ii (500w) and love them both. You get the full wattage going to the internal drivers so you don't need an extension cab to get the full capability of the amp. You can also add the something from the MBP series later down the line if you wish which is a powered extension cab that they make, you can get a really nasty stack like that.

For what it's worth when I gig with the MB212-ii, I never even come close to turning my volume knob up as far. Even for big outdoor gigs I don't think I've ever gone passed 10 o clock.. 500w into 2 12" speakers is monstrous. I believe it's pretty lightweight as well, around 40 lbs.

As far as tone goes on the 212, 4 band eq with contour on/off. Gain, boost, and master volume knobs. So there is a plethora of tones available.

MB 112 Specs
    MB 212 Specs

Edit: I rehearse with the MB112-ii, and it's 200w through 1 12" speaker. I done use PA supper for rehearsals and I don't need to go passed 10 o clock, in a 5 piece band.

smtp4me, pcake, scuzzy and 2 others like this.
  7. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Yep. I'd go with the GK MB212II. I've got more amps than teeth. Big , small, tube, SS etc. But lately I've been using my GK for everything. Rehearsal and shows big or small. From country to thrash.

I just played a show last week where it kept up with a Marshall full stack in a small venue where nothing but the kick drum and vocals were mic'd.

You can't go wrong with it. 500 watts, light and loud. Plus the customer service is great!

8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    +1, their customer service is great!

10cc likes this.
  9. Edword

Edword Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Detroitish
    Thanks to all for your suggestions!

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd also,take a look at the Genzler combo. The Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2 12T was fantastic so I'd expect the Genzler to be on par or better.

11. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Raleigh
    I don't play well.
    EBS Magni 500 210 or the EBS NeoGorm 115 would probably meet your requirements.

Daniel Piper likes this.
  12. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    GK all day.

Buzz E and CaseyVancouver like this.
  13. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    amps have gotten a lot better over the last 20 or so years, especially the last 10.

you name any amp brand, theres someone who will tell you their honest oppinion why its the best choice. you have to just see for yourself.

of course, name brands generally wont kill you. markbass, mesa, hartke, etc.

one mans oppinion, what comes to mind as a "dont buy," i'm not crazy about any recent ampeg stuff, and the TC combos i thought left much to be desired. but like i said, thats just for me. i have unique needs and so do you - even if you dont know them yet.

14. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Another for mb212ii. Best combo out right now.

Fender rumble and tc electronic bg250 line are also great.

Dave Hill likes this.
  15. madmaskbass

madmaskbass

Apr 29, 2008
    Australia
    TC electronics BG series is truly a decent buy..light very loud and excellent features...pretty much all of them have this though...for me the TC was soooo easy to dial in to sound good and stay that way...line out was perfect when used at a large stage venue recently. even has a few workable effects system that is fun but isn't a complete gimmick. e.g the comp is actually very decent..

EdO. likes this.
  16. LowCharlie_81

LowCharlie_81

Sep 19, 2017
    Hi there!
    I have been using for a while this particular amp from the Swiss company Schertler
    It's called Bass Fidelity
    I got the "smallest" one, the B10
    It has a very punchy and complete tone and it's easy to carry! very good stuff!!! ;)
    Should check it!

17. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Quilter Bass Block.

18. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    I also have an MB112. I like it, but not sure if I'm in love with it. That is subjective of course, and I do agree with your comments - these are the same reasons I purchased mine.

19. I also vote for GK. I have the MB115 200 watt combo and eventually will pair it with a powered extension 115 for a total of 400 watts. They are small enough to fit into the back of my Smart Car. The MB115 alone is quite sufficient for most small to medium venues. I have yet to turn the volume above 1/2. :D

20. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    TC BG250 (115 or 210) is nice. not everyone likes the sound (it's not overdriven in the same way as Ampegs or Fenders), but I do. not sure on the real watts, I have the 115 and it's noticably louder than Rumble 100 I had owned, so I assume it's about 200-250w.