1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Any small game hunters on TB?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ShiftyShift, May 20, 2012.

1. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    Title says it all. I've recently noticed not many people talk about hunting, and small game hunting even less. This seems odd to me, as me and my musician friends go squirrel hunting all the time, but I don't see guys on TB talking about it. So, if you are a hunter (preferably small game) I'd love to know!

2. Since so many musicians are vegan, city folk or otherwise opposed probably not too many.

Growing up I did my fair share of squirrel, rabbit, bird hunting and fishing for fun and for dinner. Not so much these days as my wife prefers not to eat game. Also I have heard that small game in my parts are not such safe eating anymore.

FWIW most of my small game hunting was bow and arrow or sling shot, and for a short time pistol, rarely using any shotgun or rifle except for fowl.

3. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    Yeah. I live out in the country, and go hunting all the time. When I go to hang out in town I get squirrels with a slingshot, but at my house I use an air rifle. All the squirrels around me are good eatin' :D, but not many large fowl, mostly just pidgeons and crows.

4. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I hunt partridge with my gramp once in a while.

5. Count me in! Dont have time for large game anymore with little kids! But take any chance i can to walk the woods on a nice winter morning to see if fuzzy beard can beat the fuzzy tails!

Love to do more rabbit! but never can get anyone with a dog :(

6. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    Yeah. my big ole' black lab scares all the rabbits out of the nest before I get to 'em. I use snares for rabbits now, but I don't like using snares much. I always end up feeling like I didn't give them a chance.

7. Mostly squirrel and the occasional rabbit.

8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Its funny, I work part time at the Gun-counter at a big outdoors chain, and I'd bet half of our regular customers aren't hunters. I use to Waterfowl hunt and deer Hunt, but I frankly don't have enough time and I'd rather fly fish. I'd like to try Coyote hunting sometime though. That looks like a blast with an AR. And we sure have enough of them around here.

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I would love to and I'm planning on it. Just have to take some classes and get my license and such.

I think that hunting in general is a sort of taboo subject for some here on TB. Not everyone sees hunting as a "valid" sport or activity. I'd rather avoid the arguing if I could.

10. swaps

swaps

May 12, 2012
    Austin, MN
    I used to hunt pheasant a lot, but more recently I've been hunting those bastardly clay pigeons.

clay.jpg
    it's a crappy picture, but I was able to shoot out the center of a clay pigeon with the ring remaining with my Beretta.

11. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I don't hunt small game anymore since I moved from the farm I lived on to the Raleigh, NC area. I do use a airsoft rifle to keep the squirrels at bay from my bird feeder. I tried putting Cayenne Pepper mixed with the seed but it seems the squirrels in my yard have developed a taste for spicey food now.