Any tips when it comes to training your ear?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by muthagoose, Jun 10, 2004.

1. muthagoose

Jan 18, 2004
    I've been using the interval ear trainer at and I guess I'm doing some improvements, but I'm still having some problems. For instance I'm having a kind of difficult time telling the difference between a minor and major third and stuff like that. So I'm just wondering if there are any special things to keep in mind or any tricks to use while practicing your ear? Or should I just keep at it and eventually it will be a lot easier?
  2. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Sing each note and interval as you play your scales. This will help solidify what each note sounds like in your head. You can also work on your ear by putting on the stereo and learning covers.
  3. Getting a cheap keyboard has really helped me. I did the same as you muthagoose, with the interval trainer on that site but that's really like taking a test when you haven't studied for it. By either using your bass or (which I prefer to use for ear training) a keyboard and singing the intervals you will learn them.
  4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    Be firm but fair, the little blighters will run rings around you otherwise :eyebrow:

Yup, you got it :)

I'd say one the best tips is just to listen a lot. When you're not with your bass, when you'e in the pub, or at work, or whatever, whenever you hear music, just listen more closely to the harmonies and melodies - sooner or later you'll start to recognise things you hear.

As cass said working out stuff from CDs, even TV advert jingles, is great pratice. It genuinely does get a lot easier with time, and writing just little bass lines or melodies using all the scales you learn, rather than just learning them, as scales will help a lot :)
  5. pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    Can anyone recommend an ear training program that I could use in my car? Something on CD I guess. I learn a lot of tunes by ear, but I don't have enough practice time to devote much to actualy ear training. I do however, spend a lot of time in my car.

6. You could record your own, if you like. Just play an interval, leave a pause so you can decide what it is when quizzing yourself, then say what it was. Put each recording on a seperate track, then set the player to shuffle. Only one problem: a redbook standard CD can have only 99 tracks. If you can play mp3 CDs, that could work well.