1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody besides me miss Carvin?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by countrybass5, Aug 11, 2018.

1. I truly miss Carvin after dealing with them over 3 decades. I still play through a B1000 into 2 Carvin 15"speakers. I am going to order a new bass from Kiesel in October. I hope I have as good of experience with them as I did with Carvin.

2. Texican

Texican

Aug 9, 2018
    I have to say, I’ve been a musician for 22 years and I never used any Carvin gear. Always wanted to try it out though. I haven’t played bass for the last 10 years, and for the last five I have only been playing and gigging as a solo acoustic guitar and vocalist. Jumping back on talkbass after all this time has kind of made me sad to see that companies like Carvin and SWR are out of business.

3. I may be mistaken but I thought Carvin just renamed their company to Kiesel.

Daniel Immel and Will_White like this.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Carvin still exists making amps and PA gear. The guitars were spun off as Keisel.

Will_White likes this.
  5. Owners of Carvin gear with no factory service.

Das Jugghead and Jazz Ad like this.
  6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    :rollno:

:rollno:

Hi guys :)

Carvin is :dead:!!!

Kiesel does fine.

The whole story (and a lot of comments) on

Carvin Liquidating

greetings

Wise(b)ass

7. Anybody besides you miss Carvin?
    Apparently not. Might explain why you are missing them now.

groooooove likes this.
  8. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No...but I miss their catalogs from days gone by. My brother has an older model and, IIRC, it sports the creme-colored pickups with 22 polepieces.

Riis

leto, npbassman, mikewalker and 2 others like this.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    That liquidation post was from a year ago. So why is Carvin's website up and running? I still get emails from them. :whistle:

leto and bucephylus like this.
  10. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    My last carvin cab went kaput. Someone I let use it fried it beyond belief. Both speaker coils and a resistor in the positive leg of the tweeter. When I emailed carvin a few years back they gave me . So I let it Kay around and ecieded amonth or so ago to fix it (didn't know both speakers were blown) after the full diagnosis the cab, V210T, just sits in my basement. Maybe one day I'll find some speakers to drop in. I'd prefer to out the PS10s in it if I can ever find em

11. Only the guitar and bass operation is renamed Kiesel. The amps and pro-audio went out of business. They came back a few months ago but the only product are two guitar pedals and the pro-audio seems like old stock. No more guitar or bass amps

TheSeagoats and Matthew_84 like this.
  12. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    The site shows no amps. Looks like they are selling odds and ends. Still liquidating?

13. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I bought a carvin 2-rackspace enclosure for one of my amps. That's all I got

14. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    My first and last Carvin amp was a small combo (don't remember the model). I bought it from a guy who said he couldn't get a decent tone from it. He was right. I used it as a practice amp but but within a couple years it started getting noisy and heating up. Ended up setting it on the curb. Some people love Carvin but that experience soured me.

15. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Almost forgot...I still own and gig two LS1503 PA enclosures which are pretty decent (...older units made with quality components).

Riis

wave rider, Thundar and jnewmark like this.
  16. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

never purchased instruments, but i did occasionally buy an audio piece (amps, cabs, gadgets, etc.) although few and far between. over the years: i would sometimes end up with carvin pieces as a function of trades or deals involving used gear. however: i did buy some 10" subwoofers from their ebay liquidation sale (reseller?) several months back.

since i've never owned a carvin bass = not really 'a thing' for me. but i understand why some folks/fans might miss the brand even if it's only to have another competent retailer as a choice.

17. jefff100

jefff100 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Central NJ
    I have a Carvin bass from circa ‘00 and a Kiesel Vader short scale bass. Both are pretty nice basses, good value in a made in USA bass; especially if you shop the used market.

Years ago I had bought a guitar combo amp; was pretty disappointed in it and returned it. I dont miss their amps much.

18. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Not a fan and would be glad they’re gone save for two reasons:

1. They were a local employer here in my town. Losing jobs is never a good thing.

2. They screwed a fairly substantial number of people on warranty. Which you WILL need sooner or later if you have a Carvin amplifier of any sort.

That they think they can stay in business in some form (two pedals do not really comprise a business IMO) and just claim they no longer bear any responsibility for the products they used to sell is at best deeply unethical and I suspect in a number of states probably illegal.

mikewalker and MordBass like this.
  19. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I had the same thing happen to me years ago. A drummer borrowed mine to use as a monitor and blew the crap out of it.

I had it until recently. I gave it to a kid at my church. He put some Faitals in it and ut sounds amazing with both electric and upright.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  20. I have been using their B1000 which was put in their 210 combo that had a 2+ U rack up top that accommodated their amps and amps like the SWR 350. I like this 210. It is deep and designed so it can tilt also. I have an Eden 210. The Eden is not any better

81000 is not bad and to me can compete with Galien MB amps (not the fusion). I like that is is 2 ohm capable. I went to the Kiesel shop and was surprised how the fan-fret instruments played. The crazy finishes are better in person. They are all setup well (the 15 that I tried) Their playing room has great amps and cabs (Mesa, Aguilar etc, no Carvins). You will buy or order one if you are not careful. Happened to me.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018