1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anybody have any experience with these amp rig set-ups??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Insomnatic, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Have any of you had any experience with these rigs/set-ups?

1. Aguilar DB751 amp and the DB810 cab.

2. David EDEN WT800,WT1205 or WTB1000 amp and the 610XLT cab.

3. Genz Benz GBE1200 amp and the UB810 cab.

I would also consider a rack mount pre-amp and a straight power amp... Do any of you have information or experience in that kind of a set-up? I'm open to suggestions going that route.

This is my current rig: A GK2000RB power amp and 3 EDEN cabinets, all are the multi ported 4ohm XLT series. I do not use all 3 cabinets at the same time but I do use at least 2 together at a time. I also play 3 different Warwick basses: 2 Thumbs; one 5str., a fretless 6str., also a 4str. Streamer Pro M.

What I'm trying to do is basically simplify my gear for portability and touring ease of transport as I am my own road crew, for now ;)... Hauling arround 2 cabs, 1 rack box and 3 basses in casses is not fun so what I'm looking to do is minimize without minimizing, if that makes any sense...?

A lot of the gigs I play don't have a house PA. I need to have a high powered and more over, a LOUD rig to handle venues without a PA! I want a single cabinet (610 or an 810) instead of multiple cabinets and a power amp of the same company to "match" with the cabinet instead of my "mixed and matched" rig I currently have. I need a "high powered rig" because I currently play in a metal band where I'm battling to be heard in the mix with 2 drop C tuned guitarists, their half stacks and fast double bass drums. I am a finger style bassist and do not use picks or EFX at all... I need power, tone and articulation with fast frequency responces and minimal EQing. Tube warmth and/or solid state (or both) along with being high powered and dependable (key word) night after night is desirable...

Some of you may have noticed that I didn't include some other popular manufacturers, namely AMPEG. Because of their commonality in the metal world, I want something more unique/exotic that can better transition between music styles with different sounds for playing styles as I often times am asked to play country gigs where an overdriven "tube growl" wouldn't be needed. I mean no offence to Ampeg owners but I've had that stuff before, it's nice but not for me... Same goes for SWR, MESA, MarkBass and Fender.

Any helpful advice or experience with this gear will be greatly appreciated! Also, I'm open to suggestions...

I need "high end" dependable gear where cost isn't as much of a concern as suiting needs are. ;)

Thanks

~Insomnatic

2. I would recommend you check out greenboy's fEARless 215, and pair that with your Pre/power set up of choice.

3. LowBSix

LowBSix Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    In today's world, I'd go with Aguilar 751 and a 4x10 & 2x12 rig.
    In the event you need smaller you've got it and it's always easier to move...

4. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    I have used this rig:
    Aguilar DB750 amp and the DB810 cab. It is most awesome, but I hesitate to recommend it for metal. The DB750's low end is a little slow - warm, huge, beautiful, but not really great for fast chugging. I still own & love the DB810 cabinet, but it weighs 186 pounds. It can bend its own casters - unless you are a serious weight lifter with a youthful spine, it is not a one-man transport.

5. Maybe you mis understood me?

I already have a 4x10 and a 2x12 cabinet... Plus I have a 2x10 as well... They are all David EDEN 4ohm cabinets. I don't need the same set-up I have right now with a different brand name on the front. I'll end up keeping my current rig so there's no need to replicate it again. :scowl: I'm looking for a single cabinet/amp head for larger venues or clubs without PA sound reinforcement. This way, I'll have 2 versatile rigs to use. I've done some shopping and looking online. Of the 3 choices I listed are the ones I'm MOST interested in finding out more information/experience on... Such as "real world" use and "real world" feedback from non endorced users here on the TB forums ;)

6. For a single cab solution, I would be looking at the fEarful/fEarless designs

7. LowBSix

LowBSix Commercial User

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    8x10/6x10 or 4x12 with the DB 751

8. :eek: Bend it's own casters!?!? Seriously? This is good to know... So the DB810 is similar to the Ampeg 810 as far as transport goes then?

This is what I'm after, info like this... Thank you!

Do you know much about the new DB751 that replaced the DB750? Aguilar supposedily added a new mids section to the pre-amp and changed the front pannel a little bit... Anyway, being a metal bassist, I don't really use a whole lot of "lows" because I'm already tuned pretty low but I do use a lot of mids to cut through a mix and add definition. The mids section is what interests me about the new Aguilar stuff.
    Wondering if anybody knows about the new mids section of the DB751??

9. nashman

nashman

Feb 11, 2011
    FYI - I don't believe Eden makes the D610XLT anymore - the good news is, they sell the D610XST. Keep your current head and take a D610XST to the larger venues?

10. Aguilar makes a 6x10!? I knew about the 8x10 and 4x12 but not the 6x10... Mmmm. I'm going to have to look into this some more! :cool:

11. I will probably end up doing this... And you're right, the XLT is no longer available but there are a couple on amazon still last time I checked. The XLT is/was replaced with the XST but do you know the difference between the 2?
    However, do you know about the EDEN WT amp heads? I get mixed opinions and reliability issues on their amps. Not sure if I will get rid of my GK for an EDEN amp yet or not?

12. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    IMHO, I'd keep the GK and find a monster cab. That amp gas plenty of headroom. Have you considered mesa?? I have no exp with the fEARless stuff but I hear grand things about them. I went on their website and it looks like you can customize your whole cab from size to ohms.

13. Oobly

Oobly

Jun 19, 2008
    A fEARful or fEARless dual 12" or 15" with a Genz Benz tube head (or your current one) may do it for you. The cabs are light and can push some very serious air for their size. The fEARful is very flexible, too, almost PA-like (3 way design).

14. If your already running a 4X10 and a 2X12, you already have MORE speaker surface area then a 6X10.

The big fEarful/fEarless cabs spank most commercially available 8X10's, and are lighter.

15. I will check out this stuff... Perhaps I have more homework to do!? ;)

16. The 1515/66 and F215 will beat any 810.