Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody see "Rising Low"

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Gander, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
  2. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    It's so good... also check out the new Gov. Mule DVD: the Deepest End for segments of the final show with most of the bassists from Rising Low.

3. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    It's so good... also check out the new Gov. Mule DVD: the Deepest End for segments of the final show with most of the bassists from Rising Low.

4. TRIPSTER

TRIPSTER

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    I can't wait to see it!

5. TheRongongo

TheRongongo

Oct 25, 2003
    Brooklyn NY
    i've seen it many times, i love it. though i felt it could have been longer with a spotlight on the bassists themselves.

6. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    a friend let me borrow the dvd, and i thought it was very well done.

7. Yup I watched it, I love Gov't Mule and I loved all the bassists on it. Double Dose Of Musical Pleasure.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Just picked that up...
    Very, very cool.

9. monark110

monark110

Oct 27, 2003
    illinois
    i'll have to catch it on friday

10. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought the DVD. The music is great, and it is really nice to see all those great bassists playing. I did think some of the stuff Mike Gordon did was a little lame, like checking the auras of the bass players, but the playing made up for it.

It also cost me some money. After watching Otiel Burbridge play a solo thing on his six string that sounded like a jazz guitar type of thing, I was so inspired I ordered a Brice 6 string...:) I don't think I can afford to watch too many more DVDs like that.

11. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    It is one of my favourite bass DVD's. I agree with Showdown, it too cost me money buying some of the artists CD's, specifically some TOP releases and almost the entire Govt Mule library. Most of the stuff Mike Gordon did was lame but the players definitely made up for that bit of silliness. Another plus was that it got my kids into Gov't Mule which was kinda cool.

Dan :bassist:

12. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I don't know, I kind of liked all of the Mike Gordon stuff. It showed that he had a sense of humor about the whole thing. And I think he knew that the aura thing was silly. I mean after he did the aura footage and talked about how he did it to help figure out what seperates a great bass player from a good one he admits that it didn't tell him that much.

And I'm guessing that you're in on the Joey Arkenstat joke... there's no such person, but they've still had that actor sit in with the mule to continue the joke.

13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yea, that's one of the parts I thought was silly. It just took up time that could have been better spent watching real bass players...:)

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    it's a must buy

15. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    So true :D

16. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Probably. And I do wisht that they had had more bass player footage. The extras were great, but I wish they had full performances.

I just liked that the film had a sense of humor about itself and that it was about not only Woody's passing and the ripples it caused, but about what it means to be a bass player, what it means to be a great bass player, what it means to pick up the pieces of a band after someone dies, and what it means to play with so many other awesome bass players.

Did anyone else think the Oteil six string solo thing was cheesy? Obviously, to each his or her own, but I have trouble listening to that kind of stuff... I feel like, get a guitar already!

I know, I know--he's friggin awesome and he wasn't just showing off, but that's just what I was thinking when I saw that part.

17. christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Definitely. I think that the new DVD that is coming out will satisfy that need.`

Interesting perspective. I think it was that and I did think that the humour was necessary, just a tad silly. Particularly the aura thing. Joey was pretty tongue-in-cheek, and as a result funny, but I would have preferred more footage of the actual players.
    Nope. :) I liked it.

Then you should enjoy Tom Hamilton's interview in BGM.

Dan :bassist:

18. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    There are currently 4 "Rising Low" DVD's on eBay... ooops, make that 3!

:D