Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody try one of these Ebay EUBs?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
  2. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
  3. I ended up with a Palatino after I e-mailed the shop that sell them and asked the weight of it. They informed me it weighs 50 lbs with out the bag and around 80 lbs with the bag.The bag has an amp built into it. That would have totaly defeated the purpous for me. I have 2 other acoustic basses and I go to place where it is a real problem getting them into.
    I still think the really look cool though. Nice design to them!.

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    50 lbs for a EUB alone?
    There must be a mistake somewhere!?

5. It could be a mistake but as I look at the structure of this bass I think that it probably doe's. The reason I feel that was is the hollow portion would weeken it and it would need to have thicker wood to support the tension of the full height bridge. I'll resend my origonal message to them and post the answer.

6. I got a reply and they indicated the aproximate weight it 50 bass and 80 bass and case.

7. I was one of those who responded in the other thread that Mikael mentioned, but I'll copy it over here too.

I actually bought the full size double bass version of this one, not the 3/4, and you'd be surprised how smooth it is to play. However, this company you mention seems to be an American replicator and I had bought an authentic original Chinese Jisheng which did cost a couple hundred dollars more. It is large and a little heavier compared to most EUB's and some might say that would defeat the purpose of an EUB, but as I'm 6'4", and had played an original Ampeg baby bass for years in a Jazz and Blues group, I was actually looking for an EUB that was a little larger with more of an anchor feel to it than the typical "neck-on-a-stand" EUB's that are out today.

Like I said, I bought an original model of the one you mentioned from the Jisheng company and I'd say it is about 40+ lbs. (solid wood and there was no built in amp in the bag). Again, it has a good solid anchor feel, which I prefer. It sounds killer through my rig (Ampeg SVT-4 Pro amp with 4X10 and 2X15 cabs). Very versatile sound, from acoustic doghouse to full electric bass tone. Great for playing Jazz or in a Big Band Swing orchestra. Works for me and real fun to play. And yes, I get stopped quite often getting asked about it.

I've seen these and other American replicate models you mentioned that are on eBay that are a couple hundred$ less than those from original design company (Jisheng) and I can't really comment if the quality on these are watered down, but I know that I've been very content with my original.

Hope that helps. I seen a few other people here in the forum mention these but really haven't really seen anyone else that actually took the plunge. But there's my first hand experience