1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

anybody use garage band? lol

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by thebassics123, Oct 9, 2010.

1. thebassics123

thebassics123

Aug 7, 2010
    im just starting out on recording. is garage band halfway decent? and how do i record to my computer

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    You're not just starting out recording. You're just starting out reading about recording.

3. thebassics123

thebassics123

Aug 7, 2010
    yeah i know lol i figured this would be the place to start ive got some homework to do

4. SLIV

SLIV

Jul 16, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I use it all the time. Its one of the easier DAWs to work with.

There is an enormous amount of info on Garageband on the Internet. You should read a bit and post specific questions once you play around with it.

5. SLIV

SLIV

Jul 16, 2009
    North Carolina, USA
    I'd say this is your place to start:

http://www.apple.com/support/garageband/

Good luck!

6. Tom_RCJ

Tom_RCJ

Jan 4, 2010
    Cardinal, Ontario, Canada
    Band is sponsored by Trinity Amps and Sennheiser.
    Recording with Garage Band is easy enough just about anyone can do it. You get a free, fully working* version on any Mac computer running OS X (that I know of, could be wrong) with all kinds of easy to use instructions and help files, and it's very intuitive as far as recoding software goes. There's even introductionary videos on Apple's home page. If you're using a PC computer, I'm guessing it's not that much different, although I've never tried, or even seen Garage Band on a PC.

It is limited in some ways, but realistically, do you really want to start with a fully professional program anyway? There's tones of technical stuff I have trouble keeping track of in bigger software like Pro Tools or Logic and I've been using those for 4-5 years now, the learning curve can be pretty steep for beginners-intermediate like me.

If you're "just starting", and still have to get used to stuff like arming a track before recording, muting, soloing, basic E-Qing, plug-ins... then Garage Band is as good place to start as any until you get to the point where you're trying to do something and realize the program just can't do it. And even after that point it's still great for songwriting, demos and practicing.

* - There are upgrades (that come with iLife I think) with a few added functions, extra audio loops and stuff, but the free version has more than enough functionality to keep you going for a long time if you're just starting. With the free version you can easily produce a decent sounding demo (or even a great demo if you turn out to be good at this) with a microphone and a good USB interface (the box you'll be plugging your instruments and mics into). Heck I don't even use an interface box on my Mac, I have a 1/8 audio jack built right into my laptop that records 24 bit and it works great.

7. GregDunn

GregDunn

Jan 8, 2009
    The band I'm in recorded their first CD in GarageBand. It is amazing for a free program, and the only things it gives up to ProTools or Logic are additional flexibility in such functions as multi-tracking, punch-ins, FX and the rest. GarageBand will do most of this stuff, it's just a bit clumsier than some high-end programs.

The good thing is that once you've recorded using GarageBand, you know how to record and your next project will be easier. You'll also know if you need something better yet.

8. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Ive used it for several years and I really like it. I just use a Griffin guitar cable (1/4" end on one side to go to your guitar, 1/8" end on the other to plug into your computer) and it works flawlessly. You can get really good recording using it.

9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    some people i know use reaper, it can do 64 bit, it can open a lot of file formats for samples and beats, and you can try it out for 30 days for free, my luck with garage band hasn't been that great with my basses or my current headphone setup, just one of those things i guess

10. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    when you outgrow garageband then upgrade to Logic Express ($200)

Garageband projects/files can be used in Logic, then when you outgrow that it can be upgraded to Logic Studio.

Dont use a cable direct into the puter soundcard......get a cheap interface instead that can track 2, or more instruments at once and consider compatibility issues so when upgrading hardware you don't have to start over.

Get an 8 channel interface if you can afford $500-800 bucks (with optical/ADAT/lite pipe ins and outs.

Then when your buddy buys one too you can link them together with light pipe and have a 16 input studio on you laptop or desktop (if you ever want to record drums you will need 8-16 inputs to record a whole band at once. Or just get a 16 track mixer like the Mackie 1640I and plug the firewire into a puter and be done.

11. I started using Garageband about six years ago. It was immediately
    obvious how powerful it was -- and how fun and easy it was to make music.
    That is a great, great application.

Since then, I graduated to Logic Pro. It's intimidating at first but the
    capabilities are mind boggling. It does so much: MIDI instruments,
    live instruments and vocals, pitch shifting, time stretching, loops, scores,
    tablature and on and on. I couldn't live without it today. Not only is it
    great for creating music, it's my #1 tool for learning to play tunes on bass.

12. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I don't record with GarageBand, but use it along with iTunes to play/practice songs.

13. How do you use it with Itunes? I've been trying to find a way to record me playing along with songs for a while and recently got a macbook pro. I haven't recorded at all, I need to buy an interface. But how can you do this?
    What interface would be a good choice?

14. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I do the same thing. It's a very simple, easy to use program that you can get some great results. Just remember, a crappy sounding input signal is going to be a crappy sounding track, no matter the filters and effects you have to use.

15. I've been using GB for years and have yet to hit a wall. It's beautiful. Try to use it tastefully and avoid too many samples. I know the samples are tempting.
    I'd REALLY recommend using any interface from Presonus. They all have a reputation for reliability and GREAT, clean, transparent sound.
    Have fun!

16. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    The Macs with firewire jacks make the presonus firepods worthwhile. Now you've got midi to get into garageband's virtual instruments, so any midi keyboard can be used to play.

Garageband is super fun. Puts your tunes right into your itunes libarary.

Pick up a used presonus firepod 8 channel and you are off to the races. Most firepods come with a version of Cubase, which shows you the next level, and makes you appreciate the simple power of Garageband.

17. catyak

catyak

Sep 10, 2010
    Denver, CO
    I picked up a UCA202 audio interface so that I can go through the USB on my Mac. It works great with GarageBand and was pretty cheap. Within a couple of minutes I was able to record violin, bass and vocals, export it out to FCE to back up a video and publish to YouTube.

The only problem I have with GarageBand is that on my computer it defaults to using the input for output. I have to manually change the output to my audio everytime I create a track. There's prolly a setting to change that but I haven't bothered to even open the help file yet. It's that easy to use.

BYW, I looked at Logic Express (and Studio) but since all I'm doing is recording tracks to practice against, it makes no sense to buy them yet. I thought that the blurbage on Apple's site for Logic Studio was kind of funny. They say "no performer left behind," then mention guitarists, keyboardists, drummers - no bass. And most of their examples center around guitarists.

18. Oh, by the way, Garageband features an "Autotune"-like capability.
    It's pretty friggen cool that this very affordable application does what
    other people will pay $400 for. And that's just one of its hundreds of features.

19. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I am currently using Garageband on my computer (Mid 2010 Macbook Pro) to do all of my recording through a Tascam US-144 (series 1) interface. It's not the most amazing setup ever, but it does what I need it to (making soundclips of effects pedals and the occasional online collaboration).

It is very easy to use and is a great way to get your feet wet in the DAW world. One day, I'll likely upgrade to something more advanced, but for my light noodling around it is more than enough. :)

20. kirbyrock

kirbyrock

Aug 8, 2006
    I'm sorry to bump a somewhat old thread, but does anyone else have problems recording bass in garageband a line-in/line-out way? I plug my bass directly into the headphone jack (which has been set to "use audio port for sound input"), and the bass records with the playback being extremely quiet. The bass has passive pickups if that matters. I have tried using a bass with active pickups, and the playback is a bit louder.

I have also tried plugging my bass into my amp, and using the headphone jack on my bass amp to plug into the headphone jack of my macbook, and when I do that and recorded, no sound is recorded at all. Any ideas?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021