Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anybody using an Electric/Baby Blue?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bassbuddy, Apr 24, 2005.

1. I've got an SWR Electric Blue coming this week ($200 from Craig's List!) to use with my Aggie 1x12 for a portable but hopefully beefy small rig, doing mostly blues and roots music. Does anyone have any suggested settings (I know it's all relative)? Particularly, do what degree do you use the aural enhancer circuit in setting up your sound? I've had mixed results using that knob for slab.

2. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Dude! That is a steal. It is a great little head-- and quite versatile. I used mine for mostly jazz with my URB, and recently sold it so I could get a AI Contra. If you go to the SWR website you can download the manual for the head-- it's got some suggested settings. I recommend it.

3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I leave the enhance nearly all the way off...

4. Yep, it came yesterday. I haven't had a chance to try it with URB, but I can see where the enhance circuit wouldn't work well with the upright. Good little head though!

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    With my old King and a bassmax pickup I run the BBII thusly
    enhance nearly off
    bass 120K + about 3db
    mid 750K -12 db
    high 2K + 3db
    I run the volume, treble, bass on the K&K preamp essentially flat, or all knobs in the middle.
    These settings seem to work well on my swr super redhead as well-the preamp sections are very similar. Big diff b/t the two is the 6" soft dome "tweeter" on the BBII requires more high end boost to accurately represent finger and string noise than the horn on the redhead, which I run at about 25% with high's set flat...

6. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I've been a fan of SWR heads. I had the Baby Blue combo with the 2-8"'s. I found the cab to lack headroom, so I took the head out, put it in its own case and sold the cabinet. Started using it with some Bergantino cabs.

Decent head, but now I'm using the SM900. Big load to tote for upright, but the EQ is fantastic. It's better than the Baby Blue. The enhance knob is useless for DB, IMO. Works great for slab.