1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone distributing through iTunes?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by DeadMike, Oct 11, 2006.

1. DeadMike

DeadMike

May 17, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    Ok, so we've got our CD and it's selling pretty well at shows. But, we're always looking for better ways to DIY.

I found a link through the iTunes webpage that you can sign up to distribute through iTunes as an independant artist/band.

Has anyone done this? Are there pitfalls that we should watch for? What are the requirements to get it going well?

Right now, we're selling through CD Baby, but we have to produce the cds to ship to the company. I'd rather avoid all of that anyway, since most people who have bought our cd are just putting the songs onto their iPods.

2. CdBaby will actually set you up for Digital Distribution. They got my old band's album up on iTunes at no extra charge (I believe). I don't have any info on hand, but I'll check at home later tonight.

3. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    cd baby sucks, don't do it. go to www.tunecore.com. no percentages of sales, just a flat one time fee. it's great.

4. I couldn't find anything specific, but if you log in to CDBaby and look for a "digital download" area, you'll be in business.

And I suggested CDBaby for this because you're already signed up with them, not sure how badly they "suck" compared to tunecore.com, but certainly check all your options.

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    the chick i play for is on iTunes. From my understanding, it's a one time fee and very easy. plus she gets a bunch of downloads from it since its one of the biggest (if not the biggest).

6. DeadMike

DeadMike

May 17, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    so, does anyone know if iTunes removes sales tax before you get paid? i'm not looking to get railed at the end of the year.

7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I didn't think there was sales tax on things sold over the internet unless it's within certain states. I'm definately going to be going the CD Baby route to iTunes once my band actually gets around to recording a CD worth putting up there. Everyone I've talked to that's done it says it's great. But make sure it fits your needs.

8. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Is there anythign that would prevent you from working with CDbaby and Tunecore?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021