Anyone else have a rare Des Lauriers bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Taylor Scott, Oct 29, 2003.

1. I just recently purchased a new bass from a small local shop. It is a use Des Lauriers bass guitar which cost me $115. It is small scale, red, and has one small humbucking pickup. The serial number is 4.

I have never heard of this bass brand before, and I was wondering if anyone else has a bass or a guitar of the same brand. Its a really cool bass with great warm tone.
  2. Taylor, I have never heard the name until now, but I would be pleased to see some pictures, if you have some!

3. dffdff

Sep 6, 2010
    I've played on my red Des for 12 years now, It's amazing.
    I had it used by two people before me, filled with battle scars but still sounded great. I had to change the frets about 1 year ago and sounds better than ever. All blood red, single hambucker, short neck, smooth and fast. I'm interested in buying another one 'cause if something happens to mine i don't know where to find another. Just one issue, i live in Uruguay (try to find it in the map, hint: south south america).
    But if anyone has one for sale or any kind of info i'd really appreciate it.
    I'm also interested in bass guitars, heard that they're as good as the guitars.
  4. SP_EB4L

SP_EB4L Supporting Member

5. dffdff

Sep 6, 2010
    Thanks a lot, I knew I had seen that bass before.
    The guy posted his mail so I'll ask him and see what comes out.
    I'll also try to hunt some information about Matsumoku. Seems to be important brand, but nothing about the Des Lauriers.
    Thanks again, really helpful
  6. Amonkey

Aug 9, 2013
    Okay, I picked up a white des lauriers bass off craigslist and it is beat to hell. It's just like the one described in the original post, but white (sorta discolored) I'm totally new to bass guitars, more of a drummer/guitarist, grabbed this one because it was 30 bucks, and have 3 part question.

1. How much is it worth? Is 30 bucks for one of these (even if it is beat to hell)?

2. It has a small crack in the neck by the body. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post pictures or not... I'd be happy to email them to anyone who could help. Also, the strings are awfully high up off the neck - is this normal for a bass guitar or is something seriously wrong? And if something is wrong, can I fix it with minimal effort and funds?

3. If I wanted to learn bass, what would be the best way? A friend recommended starting with the rudiments, another friend told me to just learn a few of my favorite songs.

I'm sorry if this is off topic - I'd just rather post all of this in one thread than make 3 different postings in different threads.