1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone else play The Beatles Abbey Road Medley?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RichardW, Jan 15, 2019.

1. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    My band is working on The Beatles Abbey Road side two Medley (You Never Give Me Your Money to The End). We play a lot of Beatles music generally and are excited about the prospect of doing this series of songs justice. My observation from the bass perspective is that McCartney's line is not tremendously difficult; the vocals are a real challenge (we've got four singers, myself included). We're prepping for a gig in April and I'm pretty confident we'll be ready.

I'm just curious if anyone else covers the Medley in a band and, if so, your experience and observations about playing it.

nixdad and oldrocker like this.
  2. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Nice!!

These guys have a go at it - The Fab Faux:

Mr_Moo, OldDog52, MonetBass and 4 others like this.
  3. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    ^ That was excellent!

nixdad, keyboardguy and oldrocker like this.
  4. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Yes. In a band called Revolver (www.originalrevolver.com) that used to do Beatles tribute shows. We now do a bunch of 60's-70's stuff. We're just now starting to work up another Beatles show with a new keyboard player and the "Golden Slumbers" medley will be part of it. I gotta learn Something too... whew.

Mr_Moo and nixdad like this.
  5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    We used to play it, actually starting with Bathroom Window and then going into Golden Slumbers, etc. People would freak out when we'd finish Bathroom Window and then keep going into that medley. Sadly, we had to drop it from our set list when our keyboard player decided he didn't like being in a band.

I agree with you that Paul's parts are not difficult. The vocals weren't too horrible either, but I worked really hard on it to get everything in synch (vocals plus bass). Good job taking this one on; most bands wouldn't even attempt it I don't think.

Mr_Moo, nixdad and biguglyman like this.
  6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Never played it in a group.
    Friends of mine used to play it out .
    I have learned it in my home just for fun and McCartney worship

Mr_Moo, nixdad and biguglyman like this.
  7. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good for you for taking this on. I'd like to hear the end result when you're ready to share!
    I'd love to add this to our setlist, but if we ever chose to take this on, we'd have to do it in chunks of 3-4 songs and then put it all together over time. We typically only rehearse 1-2 times a year (everyone but me is in multiple bands, so scheduling is an issue,) so there is no way for us to do this all at once.
    Good Luck, and please keep us posted on your progress.

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    No, but the drummer from my last band has played it. He was part of the house band for an open mic, and would thus sit in with various musicians and bands. I don't remember exactly how it happened, but one night he offered to sit in with a band that was there without their drummer. They said they didn't think it would work, because they wanted to play side two of Abbey Road. He said fine, and just played it from memory having never played it before. He's a truly amazing dude.

GregC and nixdad like this.