Anyone else see this Jeopardy guy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I have been hearing about him for a while now so i figured i would check the show out see what the big deal is. Apparently he has won Jeopardy 29 times in a row.

It was actually quite amazing, he would fly though complete topics answering every question. Never thought it was possible but he has made this game interesting. I think his totally score was 53,000$ and the guy who was in second place had 7,000$. Can we say world biggest nerd? (in a cool type way)

Anyone else see this?
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    To be honest, I'm really impressed by this guy. How in the hell can a person know everything about everything?!
  3. books

That's how I learnt about Tycho Brahe.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, but neither him nor Gabe are every Jeopardy questions.
  5. He expected to be the first contestant to hit $1,000,000 in total winnings. So far he's at about 800 or 900 K.
  6. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    Man that guy is super smart. I really hope he gets $1,000,000. He definitley deserves it if he is that smart.
  7. Getao

Jun 17, 2004
    Menlo Park, CA
    How long has the guy been at it? I know he's been winnings lots, sometimes "barely" pulling through (like a 2 or 3 thousand lead instead of 10000) so he isn't winning an extremely large amount EVERY round (just most).
  8. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    My understanding is that for work he writes questions for standardized tests that schools use.

I can kinda understand how he knows so much because of that.
  9. Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    He is averaging over $25k a night, not a bad little paycheck for a half hours work.
  10. Does NBC promote this? It could be bad for the show...though I don't see how!
  11. I thought he was an electrical engineer??

He was first on the show back in early June. He's been on for roughly a month now. I think he's at like 28 days...but that's just M-F.
  12. CBS has Jeopardy.
  13. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm going on hearsay from my mom, who watches the show a lot.

He could in actuality be a janitor or something for all I know.
  14. He is like the jesus of jeapordy
  15. hahahaha!
  16. I started watching after about the 10th victory, since I've been so bored. I don't catch it everyday, but its cool keeping up with.

There was a thread on him a week or two ago, but nobody cared then. Bandwagoners :spit:

Tony Kornheiser of ESPN made a good statement about him though. These shows were taped like 9 months ago against regular people. If this were a live thing, people from all around the world would do whatever they could to oust this guy. So there is very little competition.
  17. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    Actually, he's a computer software engineer.

And, I've seen about 10 of the episodes with him and not once has any other person had a chance in final Jeopardy to catch him unless he risked almost all his money, which he obviously wouldn't do.
  18. HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    You would think after 29 episodes of two competitors (that must also tryout for the show) that someone would be able to win though.

And the episodes of the show so far were taped in February and March from what I understand.
  19. Not in my city. Channel 5, 4 pm, every weekday. Channel 5 is NBC.
  20. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Well since these were all taped a long while ago, any word on how many times he actually won?