Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone here play oud?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ole Jason, Sep 17, 2005.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I'm planning on getting myself an oud for christmas this year. Anyone have experience on Turkish vs. Egyptian? I'm not sure which one I want. I've found a builder in Turkey offering beginner ouds that have gotten very good reviews for $280. I'm fairly skeptical of the ouds on ebay, it seems like most of them are more for decoration than playing. Any ideas of online places thatsell ouds? I found larkinthemorning but they didnt really have anything that jumped out at me.

2. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Not sure if i know what one is?

3. Do you know what 'google' is?

:bag:

4. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    When I was in Lebanon I saw many people making great music on them. A beautiful instrument! I'm suprised to see any mention of them on here, let alone intrest in buying one!

5. Ole jason, I saw ouds as well as many other uncommon, 'ethnic'- whatever that means(aren't we all 'ethnic' in one way or another?)- instruments. The website is called exotic stringed instruments or something. If I remember or find it again I'll PM you. I also don't get a good feeling from a lot of ebay stuff of this nature, FWIW.

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    cute :eyebrow:

7. Thank you. I feel the same about you. ;)

8. For I`m more into Oriental percussion than lutes,here`s a link that eventually may help:
    Oudlinks

9. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Here is a great information site, and professional-quality ouds occasionally come up for sale. I'm planning to by an Haluk Eraydin very soon, and Haluk is a very good guy. His site is here. Maybe we can have a "TalkBass Users Struggling with the Oud" club.

10. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I just emailed Haluk as a matter of fact... he has some beginner ouds for sale for $283 shipped to America. They look to be of very good quality for their price and they are meant to be played, not just looked at.

I think we'll definately need some kind of support group haha. I've played guitar and fretless bass for a long time so I feel like I have a slight advantage going into all of this as far as intonation and fingering. The right hand stuff definately has me worried though haha How fun would it be to pull out your oud next time a guitarist makes a comment about your instrument being "easy" :)

11. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I used to live in Richmond. (Actually Newby.) I also play (only) fretless, and the guitar (see link in sig). Is this one of those time travel weirdness stories?

12. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    If you're too lazy to go to google...

[​IMG]

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    But true! ;)

Share what you know, not what you don't know. :)

14. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    Wow that's weird. Did you go to school here in Richmond? Nice guitar playing and nice acoustic tone btw.

On anouder (ha!) note what's up with the low string tuning on an oud? I have yet to find an explanation on why it's down a whole step from the A strings. I did find an article that said some people tune it all the way down to E, which would probably make a lot more sense for us.

15. Kelly Coyle

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    UK. I was sharing a house with some friends out there as some kind of hippy fantasy thing.

I think the explanation for the tuning is that that's how they tune them. I hope there's a method book in English...

16. ole Jason

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I ordered one of the learner ouds from Haluk, I'll try to post some pictures when I get it in two weeks or so.