Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone playing all plain guts?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Apr 16, 2005.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've moved from full steels to Eudoxas/Olivs, and really like the sound, but I'm wondering how my bass will do will all plain guts. anyone else playing pizz jazz with a full set of plain guts :meh:

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    $.02- I played a few tunes on a bass with all plain guts once. Man, the E string was something out of a science fiction movie! It was huge and very flabby. Great for a full-time slapper, but I found it difficult to get strong definition with regular pizz. The plain A was okay, but similar kind of scenario... too darn flabby.

A common setup is plain G and D, with Olive E and A. G/L.

3. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hardly anybody plays all unwound guts. Mind it depends on what you're trying to do. I think the more unwound guts you have, the less versatile the bass becomes. I started out on wound guts with Olivs (G and D) and Eudoxas (A and E) and then went to an wound (Chorda) G. Recently I changed to the unwound guts (Gamut Lyon) on G and D . The unwound D compared to the Oliv D really gives it a stronger old school sound but also makes it less versatile for playing more modern stuff. I couldn't imagine using an unwound gut A let alone an E.

4. My bluegrass playin´ friend has plain unwrapped guts, all four strings.
    The E and A are ridiculously thick and flabby, the D and G feel a bit better. All strings are extremely hard to tune, and have no definition whatsoever. He also smells funny, because of the olive oil he rubs to the strings for maintenance.
    The band he plays in is just finishing their new cd, so I will ask if he wants to contribute one cut to the Sampler. I´m eager to hear how he sounds.

R2

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I use a plain gut G and D, but I don't think I will ever go to a complete set. Like others have said, the E and A lack a lot of definition and feel too loose. I currently am using Superflexibles E and A. The E is a good matchup, but I am not yet sure about the A. I have a trio gig tonight(no drummer) that I will be playing un amped so I'll see how this setup works out. I have only had it on about a week...

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    didn't Mr. PC use guts?

7. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Yeah but I don't think he used all unwound. I'm pretty sure he used wound on A and E. I have video footage - I should check.

8. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Adrian looking forward to what you find..... :hyper:

9. PC used regular steel A and E.
    Charlie Haden's set up is about as close to what PC was playing in terms of present day string set-ups.

10. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    I play plain D & G, and I even bought an A plain. The thing is hard to maneuver, I had the string height at like 16mm and it was STILL floppy - basically I think it sounds like crap pizz, unless you slap or bow. The plain A Bowed is magnificent. But pizz.....

Even in the old days, they almost always played Steel E & A, or wound Gut E & A. Every once in a while you'd see a plain A.

Try just the D & G plain and see how you like it

11. Adrian Cho

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Paul you're saying PC used steel A and E or wound guts? I didn't think steel bass strings were around when PC was the early days of his playing career.

12. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Lycons were.....

13. As Alexi says, Lycons and Super Sensitive were around in the early 50's. Believe me.....I was there.
    I hate to admit it.