Anyone tried M-Audio Solo Mobile FireWire Audio Interface?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Starwind, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Starwind

Mar 26, 2005
    I have friends seperated in California, Boston, New York, and Alabama. We're trying to make music together thru the Internet. Is M-Audio Solo Mobile FireWire Audio Interface a good choice for personal recording? especially for bass part.

I heard that M-Audio 410 Firewire is good, but our budget is pretty tight, and we don't actually need multi-input/output function.

What recording software it comes with? Can I use it to do multi-track mixing?
  2. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    actually i am interested in peoples inputs here also.

i am setting up a second DAW to leave at my girlfriends house and am looking for an inexpensive card/interface.
  3. relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I have been using a FW Audiophile for almost a year now. Pretty much just like the Solo but without the preamp. The unit is straightforward, reliable and the drivers are solid as a rock. Never had any trouble with it. I use the preamps in my mixer when I need them.
    I'm going to get rid of it though, simply because I need more I/O. 2 audio inputs isn't enough for me to record my band (we do a lot of improv live as a group and I need at least 3 inputs). But for home recording the M-Audio stuff is solid and nice to use.
  4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Just got the Firewire Solo yesterday. Haven't had a chance to use it yet (working a lot) but I should have something to say about it in the next couple of days.
  5. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I've been using the solo for about 3 weeks now. I haven't had any trouble, software or hardware. It sounds great and construction quality it top notch, no play in the knobs or switches. It is way more reliable than the pre-buyout m-audio box I had. It's always nice to have more channels, but at this pricepoint it's everything you could want.

The only problem I guess is that you can't hot plug it. (plug it in or unplug while the computer is on) It warns you not to in the manual, and it is right, when you do, you get the blue screen of death. It's just a hassle sometimes when I want ot just unhook my laptop to take it somewhere else in the house, because I have to power down before I can unplug.
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I have been having NO end of problems with this.

I've given up with it on the Mac Mini entirely.

I hooked it up to my desktop (PC) tonight and have been suffering no end of latency issues and distortion (even at low volumes.) Fully updated drivers and I've got the latest of Ableton. the moment, this strikes me as having been a complete waste of money.