Anyone use their effects for vocals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by baalroo, Mar 11, 2010.

1. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    Well, I'm in a psych rock band and we're wanting to experiment a bit with manipulating vocals with effects. Any suggestions? I'm thinking an envelope filter like the fx25 might be a possibility, or maybe some phaser could be cool? Anyone played around with this stuff much or do most of you stick to the bass when it comes to your effects?

2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I usually use reverb when I record music. if you're looking for a cool effect to use for vocals, try using a flanger. I've heard a few song that uses flanger effects on vocals. I thought it sounded pretty cool.

3. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    I used my Memory Man on vocals once, pretty cool soundin'

4. envelope on vocals? they will sound like the junkyard robots from the transformers movie in 1986

5 internet dollars to whoever knows what im talking about

5. P.Niggz

P.Niggz

Apr 12, 2009
    Leeds
    I had a band in the studio a few weeks back, we decided to go crazy...

SM58 ---> Tube Screamer ---> Crybaby Wah ---> DD7 Delay with Expression pedal.

Slight overdrive from the tube screamer and then slowly moved the crybaby wah and the expression pedal back and forth in between the vocal lines... the quality of the voice was obviously shockingly bad but the effect was immense... so immense we ditched the lead vocals on that part! :)

6. natthu

natthu

Mar 19, 2009
    Analogue delay while tweaking the delay time knob sounds cool if you time it right. Actually digital would probably sound more or less the same.

A Boss AW-3 on the "humanizer" mode sounds kinda cool if you fight the vowel sound it's trying to make (ie vocalise an "A" when the effect is pushing "o"). Works best with an expression pedal...

Already been said but Flanger sounds great. Any of Eventide's more extreme effects seem to give interesting and weird but (mostly) useable results.

7. The Korg Kaoss Pad.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021