Anyone Using a "Studio Grade" Preamp???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Oct 13, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

while i'm in love w/ my Demeter HBP-1, i'm running out of knobs to twist to better control in the upper end of things. parametric really do spoil a guy. ;)

so, while i dont quite have the coin left to splurge on the much touted Millennia STT-1, and yet wasnt quite happy w/ the inexpensive Presonus Eureka was wondering what else is out there and what you guys are using?

was thinking about the Speck Mic/EQ combo, or even the FMR Really Nice Preamp.
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    My SWR Baby Blue II 2x8 claims to be a high end hand made, each component hand picked studio grade bass reference system. The engineer I work with most really likes do I. Not very loud, but in that context it doesn't need to be.
    It does not have very many knobs;)

The TFB550 has a really great eq section...not necessarily a pre only, but it does have a DI that outputs the eq'd signal...
  3. Isnt there a peavey preamp thats fully parametric?

Dunno if its what you'd be looking for, but dont shun the name :)
  4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Way back I got my temporary mits on a nice Summit and a big old Avalon(not the U5)to use out for a short while to experiment with. They both sounded great but I found myself going very flattish most of the time and just enjoying the warmth and clarity it added to my natural tone and never really got to "knobby" with them. I guess I approached it more as an effect than a tone shaping device, but I am a "flat-o-holic" for the most part anyway. If I had $2k or $3k EXTRA to toss around for fun I would probably utilize one of those studio quality pre's in my arsenal, that Summit was dang sweet!!
    One unit I have been peeping is a moderately priced unit by Toft Audio, I think it's called the EC-1 or something. It appears to be simular to the U5 but with some EQ. If I pull the trigger on it I'll get back at you and give you the run-down!!
  5. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Isn't the Pro series pre fully parametric, have heard good things about them, played one briefly, seemed ok, didn't have time to mess with it which is kinda the point withthe amp tho.
  6. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    BBE Bmax or Bmax-T. bright switch, Passive mid control, Parametric mid, and SONIC MAXIMIZER which REALLY brings out the sweetness of any rig's top end....not that awful metallic snap you get with some treble controls....reall the sweetest I've ever heard if you're going for clarity and sheen......

only other suggestion is the Aguilar db 680, twice the price and not justifiably so IMHO
  7. Still a bit pricey, but trying out the TD-1 would absolutely be worth your time. I've found it to be a real "swiss army knife" and would recommend it to anyone who didn't need the full 4 bands of EQ and comp/limiter found on the STT-1.
  8. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Joker, I got the impression that you were referring to using high end mic pre's for bass. If that's the case you might want to alter your initial statement, otherwise you will probably get a lot of Tech 21 RBI and other comparable comments.
  9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    How about Avalon U5, Aguilar DB680, Kern IP-777 :D

Seriously though what dont you like about the DB 680 in the studio? I cant imagine needing more. You have the high para mids plus bright and treble.
  10. thats the one, ive heard a fair few good things about it too, but never had a shot on it yet :(
  11. Oh, he's already got all of these (but you knew that didn't you). :)
  12. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    You answered your own question.... :smug:

The real question is do you want to buy the STT-1 now or spend the time, energy and money buying and selling other gear inbetween now and that time. ;)

Seriously, the TD-1 is probably enough for every bass player I know. If you need a compressor, more EQ and a tube pre then certainly save those pennies for a STT-1 but other wise grab a TD-1 and enjoy plug and play bass bliss.

13. Full agreement here, but you said it so much more eloquently than I did.

I'm tryin' not to be a bad influence here...
  14. el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    They never get a mention here on TB but you could do worse than check out a TL Audio 5051. I don't know what they cost in your part of the world but they are usually good value. You get an excellent bass friendly semi-automatic compressor, 4 band semi parametric eq (very smooth and musical), 6 valve stages, noise gate, variable valve drive. Good feature set for use as a bass preamp. Mine is the ivory 2 series, they underwent considerable upgrades from the originals, which also had power supply issues if memory serves. HHB marketed TLA stuff for a while, it was identical except for the colour. I think the marketing agreement ended some time ago so if you see an HHB it's probably the old model. They're well designed and built. According to an info session I went to years ago TLA hired a bunch of designers from Neve when they went bust in the UK so they're better than you may expect for the price. I can't give you gigging opinions on one coz I stick with my svt but it's worth a look if you can find one.

15. Joe Meek OneQ or SixQ. might be interesting although I had the ThreeQ & it didn't quite do it for me.
  16. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I am using a U5 and loving it.. but then i do not know what i am missing...
  17. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Dang it, shrink that pic. :mad:
  18. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    serious Gup...

but thx for the suggestions guys. but no info on the Speck or the RNC?
  19. I can post a MUCH LARGER picture of either the TD-1 (or even the STT-1) if you would like. Sorry, no info on those others. My quest ended when I tried the Millennia gear.
  20. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, while i wouldnt mind filling my SKB rack w/ the Millennia, to be honest, a side of me would feel very uneasy about bringing such a terrific pre to the clubs i play.

was hoping i'd find something somewhat comparable, yet affordable.