1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anything with a microprocessor at risk!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stumbo, Jan 6, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
  2. SLIV

SLIV

Jul 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    I heard about this on NPR yesterday but from the interview I struggled to understand exactly what the problem is and I'm pretty tech savvy. Something about cloud computing and ads?

From the NYT article: "“The real problem is ads are dangerous,” said Jeremiah Grossman, the head of security strategy for SentinelOne, a computer security company. “They’re fully functioning programs, and they carry malware.”"

Right above my post here is an ad for Sweetwater... Not sure what it all means for us users!

3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    This falls into what I do in my day job, and needless to say we've been looking at it and talking about it in depth.
    The issue is pretty complex, and essentially involves one process being able to read private date from another process.
    The essential takeaway - for your personal devices, update them. One of the attack vectors is still there, but there are also a lot of other ways to get your data (much easier) if someone wants to target you.
    It's a much bigger problem for Cloud deployments, because one "bad" tenant can grab a lot of data from other tenants.
    Ads are an issue because a malevolent ad process can steal data via your browser if your browser and operating system are not patched.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I don't use the cloud for my computers, especially for work. I have confidential client data on it.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

spooky stuff!

6. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Heads up

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    p
    I have a Win 10 subscription for my 2 computers and 2 phones.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    My PalmPilot is safe. ;)

kobass, SLIV and T_Bone_TL like this.