Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Apartment workshops

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by teej, Dec 17, 2005.

1. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    We've moved from the house and into an apartment -- the rent was just too much -- and with that went my basement workshop. Even though I'm living in an apartment now, I want to keep doing what I like doing, but there's really no where to do it, apart from the front porch. Anyone else in this same situation?

2. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    are you at a complex where you can also rent a private garagette? should be able to work in there when the car is pulled out.

3. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    it's a complex, yes, but no garages. I don't have a problem with working right there on the porch, but it would be a real pain to move the drill press back and forth. There is a 3x5-foot storage unit, accessible from the porch. I could probably clear enough space to fit the drill press and work in there. :smug: And my boss just moved into a new house with a 2nd garage that he said I could use, but again, it's just a matter of lugging around the drill press.

4. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I've lived in apartments and thought about that situation. Never came up with a real good solution short of renting a storage building and working in there.

Now, I rent a bedroom in a house. I have less room for my stuff than I did in an apartment. But there is a small backyard area where I've been working on my project. Fortunately, in San Diego, the weather is usually cooperative.

5. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Even though I now have a garage, I use my Workmate-type bench for doing a lot of the cutting/carving/etc. outside in the driveway. I like working outside for some reason, and as long as you have a portable, sturdy bench, you CAN do a lot of stuff outside. I clamp my planer, thickness sander, chop saw all to the workmate and just let the chips and dust fly into the dirt that lines the side yard, makes for great woodchips of all sorts of different colors, and the spruce I just planed is about the closest to snow I'll get here in California! It just drives my neighbor nuts!, but she's a retired beee-aaatch!

6. hahaha, ive thought about different ways to do it, but renting a decently large storrage unit is about all i came up with

for now, i'll do any major things (wood work and finishing) when i come back home for a little while (hoping for get very productive this christmas break) and then do assembly and settup back at school in my appt.

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Those Workmates are devilishly useful. I built my first bass with nothing more than that, a slab of alder, a hand drill, a router, a few rasps, and LOTS of sand paper.

I wonder how much a 1/4 acre runs in my area?
    Buy some land and a pre-fab shed... :D

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, that is pretty much what you need!
    Just add patience :D (in heeps)

I use the end of the corridor, which is about 2x2m including a small desk, with no separation from the resp of the appartment. It takes a lot of vacuuming...and folding the Workmate...but it works.
    During'06, I will upgrade to 3x3m - huge!!! :D

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    My wife and I own a 3 bedroom condo that is essentially an apartment. Since there is only the two of us I use one extra bedroom for my music room/workshop. I have a small workbench just big enough for a bass. I'm rebuilding a '76 Thunderbird right now there.

I've even finished several basses with tung oil or tru-oil (not sprayed) on my balcony. I hang the body and/or neck from a hook on a piece of wire to dry.

10. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I found that a modified wire coat hanger and the shower curtain rod work well for this. :cool:

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

A coat hanger is what I use, hanging from a hook that normally holds a hanging planter. Works great, costs nothing.

12. schuyler

schuyler

Aug 5, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    the first question is: do you really NEED a kitchen? :D

my house is only around 1000 sq. ft., and many apts. are larger than that. before i built my shop in the backyard, my workspace was essentially the front porch (screened), with tool storage in one closet in the house. my workbench was around 2' x 3', and i had one power outlet. it wasn't ideal, but it was workable. check out the first photo to see what it was like. http://www.jairaj.net/Photos/SSW/ssw003.htm