1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aquila Thundergut U-Bass aftermarket string review

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by scotch, Jan 16, 2012.

1. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Aquila Thundergut review

I'm increasingly impressed with these strings and I have switched to using them on my U-Bass for both live and session work!

Fairly comprehensive review of Thundergut strings with soundclips & even a side-by-side comparison to Pahoehoe's:

justinoscarcary.com - Gear Reviews - -Aquila 'Thundergut' Bass UkuleleĀ Strings

I really think these are an improvement in terms of tuning stability and ease-of-playing while still providing all of the deep lows that the original U-Bass strings offer!

2. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    These Aquila strings work great on my Ashbory bass as well, btw...

3. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Dec 27, 2010
    Western AR
    I received my new Thundergut strings Monday 4/23/12 and put them on that evening. I like the additional tension and I really like the acoustic and amplified tone. There is a drawback and it's probably going to be a major one; the last two evenings when I got my Ubass out to play, the strings were STICKY. Apparently the oil from my skin is breaking down the nylon, plastic, or whatever it is and causing the surface ot the strings to be very tacky. It's not cool at all. You can't pluck the strings properly because they are sticky and you sure can't slide up and down the fretboard because the are SO STICKY. So far I've tried wiping them with a dry cloth and a damp cloth. Neither of those methods work and actually seem to make it worse. I tried just a little baby powder and that helps. I figure it will get worse and not better. I'll probably have to go back to tha polyurethane strings.

4. BrianChido

BrianChido

Jun 1, 2012
    Hi, I've had the Ubass for about a week. I had some intonation issues with the original Pahoehoe strings and thought I would try the Thundergut's. Just put thtem on yesterday and seem to like them. they were much easier to install, and tune, however, I too noticed the "sticky" feel today. Was wondering if it was just me, or if it's known issue. I sure hope there is a cure for this, because as you implied:atoz:, the tackyness impedes playability.

5. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Seems to be an issue with different people. No problem here. Maybe folks with more acidic sweat? I know my brother-in-laws phsiology is different than mine- if I dont wipe down ANY of my instrumenents after he plays them for just a minute or two, the metal strings and hardware start to tarnish in a matter of days!

6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Is it easier to string these than the standard black strings? Do they have the same "too many winds around the post" issue?

7. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    I think they are much easier to install, yes. It's important to NOT pre-stretch them like you might the Pahoehoes. They stabilize far quicker & stretch less than the Pahoehoes too.

I haven't had to reinstall a set yet because of too many windings, but I think it is possible. If any string type winds down too far onto the tuning post nut, you will risk breakage!

8. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The repeated restringing with the Pahoehoes is infuriating. Do the D and G strings need to go around the posts in the same complicated, annoying way as the Pahoehoe? Thanks in advance

9. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Yes they do. It will be a little easier though. Use vise grips to help you. Try installing them like you would an unwoumd guotar string. Over-under concept.

10. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Dec 27, 2010
    Western AR
    I like the extra tension and tone, but mine are still too sticky to play without some sort of powder or lubricant. The don't seem to be breaking down from acidic sweat, but they are definitely sticky beyond use. If I can't find some workable solution, I'll have to go back to the originals.

11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I'm sure this has been addressed, how do you put in the strap pin? Where might one order a pin like that from, and how would you install it with what tools and such? Thanks a bunch

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Nevermind I meant to post this somewhere else

13. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    I answered you in the U-Bass megathread!

14. ubassman

ubassman

Jul 23, 2012
    Derbyshire
    Is the issue with the thundergutts being 'sticky' resolved now? I have been reading elsewhere on the Ubass megapost that there was an early production problem particularly with D and G being 'out' by a whole tone but that the second generation strings have cured that ....but haven't seen much else about the stickiness issue being sorted.

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The most common solution I've heard of is using powder, which works but gets everywhere. I've also heard oil works (I don't know what kind), or something a bit more disgusting, rubbing the oil off your nose before fingering the bass. Nearly instantaneous stability is a huge plus but I switched back to the poly strings because I like the feel better.

16. Farmerboymusic

Farmerboymusic

Nov 8, 2012
    UK
    Some people use olive oil, but I prefer to use a bit of silicon spray - works really well - I get it from the local hardware shop and one spray should do for a nights playing on the ashbory.