Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Archie Bell & the Drells

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Dec 14, 2004.

1. My girlfriend put on a mix and the song "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell and the Drells came on. I mentioned that I knew the bassist a long time ago, because he was my next-door neighbor. But I am stumped on his name. Can anyone here remember it?

It's a shame that I lived next to someone who played on such a classic soul record, but I was too young to appreciate it.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    jimmy williams, ron baker or ray earl ring a bell?

:)

3. even more stumped now :(
    Last I knew he was living in Beaumont.
    He was teaching and selling basses out of his house.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    so i take it, it wasn't any of those three?

5. Now thinking of it, it was Ron Baker.
    Just had to jar my head a bit to remember.
    Last Time I had heard anything about them was about 8 years ago, they were doing gigs in Port Arthur, Texas.

6. takeonme

takeonme

Nov 27, 2004
    Charlotte
    I saw on Ebay a while ago the supposed body of the bass he used for the recording of Tighten Up was being sold after it had been smashed, I wonder if it was the real deal?

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Ha-Ha-hah! Bell.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ;)

actually, i was supposed to go on the road with those guys (they were still on the road) - i was going to play trumpet, but turned down the gig - i was already too tired. i'm sure i would of had a lot of fun, those guys are supposed to be real cool.

9. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :crying: