1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Archie Bell & the Drells

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BoognishMang, Dec 14, 2004.

1. My girlfriend put on a mix and the song "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell and the Drells came on. I mentioned that I knew the bassist a long time ago, because he was my next-door neighbor. But I am stumped on his name. Can anyone here remember it?

It's a shame that I lived next to someone who played on such a classic soul record, but I was too young to appreciate it.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    jimmy williams, ron baker or ray earl ring a bell?

:)

3. even more stumped now :(
    Last I knew he was living in Beaumont.
    He was teaching and selling basses out of his house.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    so i take it, it wasn't any of those three?

5. Now thinking of it, it was Ron Baker.
    Just had to jar my head a bit to remember.
    Last Time I had heard anything about them was about 8 years ago, they were doing gigs in Port Arthur, Texas.

6. takeonme

takeonme

Nov 27, 2004
    Charlotte
    I saw on Ebay a while ago the supposed body of the bass he used for the recording of Tighten Up was being sold after it had been smashed, I wonder if it was the real deal?

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Ha-Ha-hah! Bell.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ;)

actually, i was supposed to go on the road with those guys (they were still on the road) - i was going to play trumpet, but turned down the gig - i was already too tired. i'm sure i would of had a lot of fun, those guys are supposed to be real cool.

9. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! :crying: