Are Ricks heavy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluemonk, Sep 4, 2005.

1. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Are Rickenbacker basses very heavy? Are the bodies chambered like many of the g'tars?
  2. They are about the same as every other bass you will pick up!

SERIOUSLY people! It's 10lbs! Not that heavy, and I played for 6 hours straight yesterday and 5 hours straight today. They don't weigh that much!
  3. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Some of us, probably after playing p basses for years, have back and neck troubles. 10 pounds is not a good answer, although my chiropractor would love the business.
  4. Sorry, it's just that people complain about weight a lot and it gets on my nerves. A Ric is about the same weight as a P. Maybe slightly lighter, cause the body is a bit thinner and smaller too, I believe. Very similar in weight though.
  5. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    heavy basses are something to complain about, i hate em. hurts my back, neck, and left arm. whats fun about playing like that? i have sold every heavy bass that i have owned even if the tone was great. f you spend most of your time sitting while you play, who cares how heavy it is. if you gig for more than a hour a night, you WILL feel it. i bottom line for me is, a bass doesn't NEED to be heavy. bye.
  6. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Thanks, man. I've been seeing a lot more of them on stage lately. The sound is killer. I hope you enjoy yours for years to come.
  7. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    If it hurts you need a new strap or a new way to wear your bass.
  8. Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Then thing i learned playing a ric for the first timea month or so ago was the heaviness wasnt a problem you need to get used to the first few frets on its neck is blocky...I dont know how else to explain it :smug: But the first fret is a little weird to play on for a feww hours over conventional basses.
  9. +1 It's not so much about the weight, it's "how it's hangin'". You can probably compare a set of basses similar in weight but different in manufacturer, and find that some hurt more than others because each hang differently on your shoulder and neck and then require different technique for your arm to hold and utilize the neck. That's another good reason to get out there and play as many basses as you can before choosing one to buy for yourself. Lots to consider, IMHO.
  10. It's heavy, but I've played far worse.

The Marcus Miller Jazz bass comes to mind, as well as the American Precision bass. Oh, and a Stingray.

The Modulus Vintage Jazz is also quite heavy.

Ric's are relatively heavy either way.
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I have a Jetglo 4003 of recent vintage. With the pickup cover removed, it reads 9.0 lbs. on my digital bathroom scale.
  12. That is because the neck is non-tapered. The widthe at the nut is almost the same at the heel.

The 4003 is typically 9-10 pounds and the 4004 is usally 7-8 pounds.
  13. pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    Mines a hell of a lot lighter then the Jazz - if that helps

It's also got a dumber neck then the jazz... :bag:

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

They did make a hollow body bass.
  15. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    Hell yeah they're heavy! Go give Machine Head another listen!