1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Arghh! Need Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassElement, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Hello, I really need help!

I decided my bass's strings needed a clean so I took them off and cleaned them, I just re-strung them and everything looked fine so I plugged it into my Amp for a little play and...

All I hear is static! My amp isn't picking up ANYTHING! I've tried all the settings, turned the volume the gain up and NOTHING! I have two cords and it's the same with both!

Just to make sure it wasn't my Amp I plugged my bass into my electric tuner and even that won't work...

I'm really worried my bass is stuffed! All I did was string it!!!!

Please help!

:bawl:

2. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Gee....I don't see how restringing your bass would cause this....weird....Sorry, not a clue....

3. Yeah I don't know what has happened, I pray it isn't my bass...

4. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Check your output jack, you may have a bad connection in there.

5. Ohh I hope not...

How do I see if I have a bad connection?

6. Anyone?

7. flawop

flawop Banned

Sep 9, 2006
    What probably happend is a wire or two got disconnected from the output jack. It happends if you pull and twist when you take out the patch chord man. so far... it's happend like twice to me.

Open up the back. Check. If there wires off disconnected... you gotta reconnect it using that thingy that heats up and stuff. I donno, I always got some dude I know to do it for me.

Don't worry though. It's easily fixable, I just don't know how to do it or explain it or even what it's called. buutttttt someone around here will come in and explain that I'm sure.

8. Solder?

9. Have you determined that it is the wires on the input jack?

Soldering is what you'd need to do to fix the wires if they're not connected to the input jack.

10. flawop

flawop Banned

Sep 9, 2006
    yeah man that's it.

11. All I can say is ***!

I opened up the back and nothing was outa place, closed her up and now my bass works...

12. flawop

flawop Banned

Sep 9, 2006
    did you have your volume turned off on your bass?

13. a dodgy wire in there probly on yr output jack-if yr vol. on the bass wasn't off!!!;-) If U can solder- just redo the output jack wires- E.Z. job that'll take less time to do than it took to take yr strings off.

14. Nah I think it is my cord....I'm buying a new cord tomorrow...

Whenever I bump the cord the Amp sounds static and I need to manually hold cord in, so I think it's the cord!

15. Glad to hear you figured it out.

I'd gladly replace a chord than try to solder on my bass. What brand of cable are you using?

16. BIGBEE

BIGBEE

May 27, 2006
    it could be a dirty input jack , take the back plate off , or pickguard plug your cord in to input jack, while not pluged in to amp please!!!!, see where it locks up ,remove cord and take some fine emery cloth and sand gently.it just might be dirty,
    good luck steve.

17. Do you have to hold the cable at the input jack? I had that problem with my old Carona after it sat around for ages. At first I blamed the cable then tested a few others out and had the same problem.

I called a guitar shop and they suggested cleaning the inside of the input jack with a light grit metal file before checking connections internally. I got one from Bunnings and found my input jack was indeed a bit rusty having sat around for years in in a gig bag unused.

If you need to grab the cable at a point where the connection is stronger away from either connector...then yeah, ditch it and get another or do what a mate of mine does and fix em with a blade and some solder. I once looped a cable tightly between bass and strap to compensate for that problem - for 3 months because I wouldn't afford a new cable I was that miserly and stubborn :D

18. I was using some crappy lead that came with my Bass...

I'm picking up a decent $20 one tomorrow =)

19. Don't do that!!! You can hold it in place for another 3 months yet and eat pizza once a fortnight instead. I did :D