1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Aria AS690B

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by audiotom, Apr 17, 2006.

1. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    Anyone familiar with this bass

tone, quality, lightweight feel

have shoulder problems and looking for something lighter

2. Jay Gee

Jay Gee

Apr 1, 2006
    I bought one of these because most basses are too heavy for me and I've had shoulder problems. It has a nice deep sound, but is a little 'boomy' because of the condenser microphone on the bridge which is used as a pickup. I put half-rounds on it and it helped a lot. If you even touch a string with round wounds on it, it makes a small thud through the amp.

Not much tone control, but there is a little. Very lightweight (I think it's about 3 lbs) and packable. The neck is very fast. The tuners are plastic guitar tuners, but actually work well. It hardly ever goes out of tune. I use it for a travel bass and for the price, it's a decent bass. People always ask me what it is when I play it in public. It's about the best it can be for the price.

3. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    I just ordered one yesterday to hopefully be a tour bass for the budget tours. I'm curious if anyone has tried a preamp of some kind for more tone control. I'm hoping this is a real instrument and will sound musical.
    Thanks.

4. Osprey

Osprey

Jun 20, 2005
    UK
    This is a great instrument, especially for the price. There's a thread on TB with discussion of strings and info from Soloette, who licence the design to Aria.

5. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Thanks, fingers crossed....

6. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    You're going to enjoy the bass.
    Also, check out the other Sinsonido thread here - lots of good dialog.

I now gig exclusively with that bass. I Love it.
    It feels great and sounds great.

I don't experience the boominess that someone else mentioned.

The easiest way to work the bass, for me, is to roll most of the highs off from the preamp, and then do all the rest of the tweaking elsewhere.

The bass is an absolute pisser to gig with, and it generates lots of dialog with people.

I play it as a stick, without the bars. [See avatar]

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Who'd you order it from?

Please let us know how it goes.

8. MixBass

MixBass

Feb 23, 2006
    L.A. Harbor
    Co-founder. GrabAxe
    Hey, first off,I ordered it from Magdon music @ ebay. I saw it come up late one nite and did the buy it now for 299
    I played it for a bit and here goes....
    Great deal for starters. It's absolutely a usable instrument. I put a bit of relief in the neck as it was a bit buzzy and I may do a bit more.
    It plays well and has decent intonation. Initially it's a bit wierd to play as it's so lite and it moves a bunch when I play.That's w/o the frame mind you, with the frame on it's no problem. I think I'll not use the frame and adjust. One problem so far is the E is slipping on me. Don't know if it's the wind or the tuner itself but I'll figure it out quick.Everything else is cool.
    Sound... I like it. Nice woody tone as y'all have mentioned.I'm not keen on the sizzle/clicky sound in the treble pos. but I'm not after it anyway.
    I think a little bit of treb for thumb stuff will be enough for my taste.
    I may try some flats @ some point as I think they'll suit the sound of the bass. I'm curious to hear it through my big rig,I'll let you know on that soon.
    Thanks for all the info and I agree w/ y'all, it's a very cool instrument, especially for the $$!!

9. Joemkr

Joemkr

Jul 17, 2008
    Michigan
    could you use the aria as-690b in a rock band?
    I have never heard one and don't know what genre of music that it would be best at.
    Thanks for the info