1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ashdown Amps - Anyone Using them here?

Discussion in 'Rockabilly [DB]' started by SlappinSimon, Aug 13, 2007.

1. I am looking at getting an Ashdown Amp, either the MAG300, MAG 600 or the AMB500.
    I am playing Double bass with Gut Strings and doing Rock'n'Roll / Rockabilly and Jazz Gigs. I'd be interested in any thoughts, and if you are using it what do you think, what are you playing (Double Bass or Elec Bass), Style of music and Cab used.
    Thanks for any input.

2. Geoff Firebaugh

Geoff Firebaugh

Apr 1, 2004
    Nashville TN
    Endorsing artist:Blast Cult, BNA Audio, Fender, Innovation Stings, K&K
    I have an ABM500 EVO II in my rig right now. I love it. My only complaint about it is that it isn't stable to 2 Ohms. so i can only use one of my cabs at at time.

-g

3. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    Im using the mag300 2x10 combo..I believe it 180 watts as is but 300 with ext cab..I havent needed to add an extension..Its plenty loud for small -medium gigs..Sounds great with my slapking..

4. hofner

hofner

Dec 7, 2003
    france
    i used to play with a mag210t cab (hartke 3500a head) and was not happy with it : if it was ok with my electric bass, when i used the upright with guts, it seem that the loudspeakers did'nt liked the very low frequencies and sounded like a damaged amp..:eyebrow:

5. Thanks for your input. I endend up getting a GK700RBII and a matching SBX410 box. Sounds great and am very happy. I just could not get the tone I was looking for with an Ashdown. It was OK and all but I had played by bass through a GK before and I guess I was chasing that sound but from a Ashdown. Ended up spending more than I wanted but got more than I can ask for in sound. (I think thats a good exchange.)

6. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    Glad to hear you found what you were looking for! It seems tone preference is a little different for everyone. I moved from a GK800RB to a Ashdown Mag 300 recently, and prefer the Ashdown.

7. I'm glad to hear you are happy with the Ashdown MAG-300
    I am going to order sight unseen or heard MAG-300 210 combo with extention cab.
    Makes me feel a little better knowing that it is suitable for both electric and upright

Frank

8. stz

stz

Nov 9, 2006
    Derby, UK
    How did you get on with this? I've got a MAG 600 and find that no line in = poor handling of most DB pre's.

9. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    You could either use the Loop Return jack, or use the regular input but defeat the eq section with the EQ In/Out button.