1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown Little Giant cheap deal.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SamWebsterbell, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Ok so I was browsing the web for some second hand deals.
    I came across someone selling ex display/ex demo Ashdown little Giant heads.

The 350 watt head for £160 ($250)
    The 1000 watt head for £220 ($340)

Now ive bought off this site before and it is legit.

But wow 1000w for that money is crazy
    I was going to get the Ashdown MAG 300 head but now i dont know. I'm thinking running it with either an Ashdown ABM 4x10Cab or a Avatar/GK 2x12.

So what do you think of these heads and what should i do?

2. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I use a Ashdown LG1000. A solid sounding amp for sure.

It's not a strait 1000 watts. It's 500 watts per side.

It's output Power is 2 x 500W RMS into 4 Ohms

Here's some more info.

http://www.ashdownmusic.com/tech/manuals/little_giant.pdf

I run mine with 1 - 4 Ashdown ABM 4x10 cabs

I'm an Ashdown endorser.

3. that seems like a killer deal, after the fail that was the superfly amp, i personally wouldn't get one, but its apparently solid now. If i where you though i'd go for something other than ashdown cabs, they just seem a bit lacking in the guts department, although i only have the mag 210 and 115, just bought a trace 215 and its sooo much deeper and has some proper thump to it. Also, i'll be selling a mag600 head pretty soon if you're interested.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

I would have to respectfully disagree with you.

I have been using Ashdown ABM series cabs for over a decade and I have yet to have a problem with performance or lack of having guts.

The ABM cabs are some of the most versatile and thick sounding sounding cabs on the market.

Over ten years of continuous use and not one single cab problem

To the op just give the Ashdown ABM cabs a serious spin and if they don't work for you they just don't work.

5. the abm series does look much better quality and to be better tuned.... i'll rephrase my comment, i wouldn't go for any mag series ashdown cabs if i was getting a new rig.

6. Ok i was worried that 1000w into a Ashdown ABM 4x10 cab may be too much power for the speakers.
    So if i run it with just one 4x10 speaker it will be outputting 500 watts yes?

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Yes but to get the 500 watts, your cab would have to be a single 4 ohm cab

8. Wow this ohms stuff confuses me still.
    Ok so i cant run it with only one ashdown ABM cab because its 8ohms?

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

You can run it with 1 ABM 410 cab that is 8ohms but you will not get the full 500 watts.

Remember if you take 1 4ohm cab and connect it to the right side of the LG1000 and another 4ohm cab is connected to the left side, you will get 500 from each side(each cab).

If you take 2 8ohm cabs and connect them to the right side of the LG1000 and two more 8ohm cabs is connected to the left side you will get 500 from each side(a total of 4 cabs running at the same time).

10. ok well i can only afford one so what do you suggest?

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Well with all due respect,if you were going to get one 410 cab anyway just get one 4ohm 410 cab.