Ashdown MAG Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jackbass182, Dec 28, 2007.

1. jackbass182

jackbass182

Apr 20, 2007
    What are they like?
    Would they work well with and ampeg B-2RE?

2. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    I have one. Not the sturdiest cab in the world. Its heavy, and looks/feels nice, but doesn't handle touring well at all.

Took only 2 times of loading in/out with light rain around for the carpet to just about fall off the back. I set one on a thick power cable by mistake and once the home-made cab and 6U rack were on top I heard a "crack" and the bottom piece cracked along the edges (that piece kinda acts like a port).

It sounds ok, but I've heard better. Its loud enough for practice, and small bars with a 600 watt RMS stereo PA amp behind it (sans-amp rbi into the amp). You'll need at least a second cab for anything over a 80 capacity venue. If you want to shatter the earth, or play outdoors, look for something else.

That being said it was the best "store bought" $300 cab I could find. Its the only one that cheap that I could find with a speakon and 1/4" on the back (and not just two 1/4"). Filling the 1/4" jack with silicone made it sound a little less muddy down low. BTW, If you're not using speakon, start now, they are great. partsexpress.com has the ends and 2 conductor cable at great prices. I made a 3' and a 6' 12ga cable for around 25$ (including two jacks to convert the amp from binding posts to speakon). No soldering required for making the cable.

I still find that you can make a better one yourself for a little over $400.

3. I've just replaced a speaker and horn in an Ashdown Mag combo for a customer, cheap far eastern tripe.

4. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    I love mine. Been running two 410 cabs for about three years steady with no complaints. I thought they were light compaired to some of the other cabs I have owned. My last rig was an Eden 212XLT and 115XLT run with a WT400 plus. Before that was a 74 SVT head and 810 cab. I am used to good gear and this stuff is OK. The carpet did come off of mine as well but nothing a little glue didnt fix. They are not super deep sounding but are loud and have a nice mid range that sits great in a live mix. I just bought two 210 cabs to use as front monitors and they are decent as well.