Ashdown MAG Cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jackbass182, Dec 28, 2007.

1. jackbass182

jackbass182

Apr 20, 2007
    What are they like?
    Would they work well with and ampeg B-2RE?

2. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    I have one. Not the sturdiest cab in the world. Its heavy, and looks/feels nice, but doesn't handle touring well at all.

Took only 2 times of loading in/out with light rain around for the carpet to just about fall off the back. I set one on a thick power cable by mistake and once the home-made cab and 6U rack were on top I heard a "crack" and the bottom piece cracked along the edges (that piece kinda acts like a port).

It sounds ok, but I've heard better. Its loud enough for practice, and small bars with a 600 watt RMS stereo PA amp behind it (sans-amp rbi into the amp). You'll need at least a second cab for anything over a 80 capacity venue. If you want to shatter the earth, or play outdoors, look for something else.

That being said it was the best "store bought" $300 cab I could find. Its the only one that cheap that I could find with a speakon and 1/4" on the back (and not just two 1/4"). Filling the 1/4" jack with silicone made it sound a little less muddy down low. BTW, If you're not using speakon, start now, they are great. partsexpress.com has the ends and 2 conductor cable at great prices. I made a 3' and a 6' 12ga cable for around 25$ (including two jacks to convert the amp from binding posts to speakon). No soldering required for making the cable.

I still find that you can make a better one yourself for a little over $400.

3. I've just replaced a speaker and horn in an Ashdown Mag combo for a customer, cheap far eastern tripe.

4. rovito

rovito

Jun 26, 2005
    Maine
    I love mine. Been running two 410 cabs for about three years steady with no complaints. I thought they were light compaired to some of the other cabs I have owned. My last rig was an Eden 212XLT and 115XLT run with a WT400 plus. Before that was a 74 SVT head and 810 cab. I am used to good gear and this stuff is OK. The carpet did come off of mine as well but nothing a little glue didnt fix. They are not super deep sounding but are loud and have a nice mid range that sits great in a live mix. I just bought two 210 cabs to use as front monitors and they are decent as well.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021