1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ashdown speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Maquisbass, Jul 12, 2012.

1. I'm thinking of getting a new amp & speaker cabinet.
    I was looking at an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO III and a ABM 6x10 cabinet or a Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.2 head & a NEOX 2x12 cabinet,
    What are you thoughts on this?
    I've heard that Ashdown use a basic cheap speaker in their cabinets, is this true?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The volume difference between a 610 vs a 212 is not a fair fight.

3. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    FWIW, I have the bottom half of what used to be an Ashdown MAG300 combo as the result of a trade in which the other person only wanted the amp section. I now would follow Ashdown nearly anywhere. The 1x15 cab I am left with is an outstanding performer at all volumes. If it's cheap, it's definitely an overachiever.

4. Goteky45

Goteky45

Oct 30, 2009
    Portugal
    don't trust what you read, trust what you hear. Ashdown's ABM line is very well made and sounds great. It has that great british rock grind (think The Who) that many people love. The speakers are perfect for the ashdown amps and many pro players use them live and many others used them for years without a flaw. I've used that same setup at some gigs and was very satisfied with the sound and performance.

The GB is a very different setup that can perform well on a wider range of styles in my opinion, so it's up to you. Use your hears.

5. I haven't used many of their products, but I got a MAG 200 combo (2x10) and I love it. Super smooth sounding. Not much volume, but for the quiet stuff I do it works great. I wish I could find a matching 2x10 to stack..... Right now I'm using an ampeg svt15e under it.

6. jtl1380

jtl1380

Oct 12, 2010
    Asheville, NC
    +1 on this. After having a MAG300 head w/ MAG115 cab previously & a MiBass 220 head with a MAG410 cab now & having played pretty much everything in Ashdown's line, I can say with confidence that I'm an Ashdown man. There really is nothing else that is solid state that sounds so tubey. I really like GB's stuff as well, but Ashdown tone is "my" tone. Never had a single quality issue with any Ashdown product either.

I would say if you're looking for a great, clean sounding, portable rig, then the GB Shuttle series is pretty hard to beat. If you want a fat, thick, tubey tone with solid state reliability, then you can't go wrong with the Ashdown ABM series. All IMO, of course.

Good news is, you're not gonna go wrong either way!

7. Thanks for the input