Ashdown vs Trace cabs ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Squice, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Can anyone here tell me the difference between Ashdown and Trace elliot cabs.. I own Ashdown 500RC Evo head and i'm looking for cabs. I tried my friends cabs, trace elliot 1x15"+2x10" and just loved it. huge bottom end. but what blew me away was the clarity of the tone.. no muddy tone at all. So the music store got ashdown cabs, so i was wondering if they were anything like the trace cabs.. but i can´t ab them against the trace. becouse they are not in the same town. Also i´m going to get the 1x15+2x10" setup And i know the store just ordered ABM BP1510TX Cab wich got 1x15 and 2x10. is there some difference between having 2 cabs or just 1 that got both.. just wondering tonewise. not thinking about $ and portability. Has anyone tried that cab? if so what are the ups and downs on it?

best regards.
  2. how about some answers.. :)
  3. Couldn't comment on the combination of cabs you're talking about, however I traded my Trace 4 x 10 and 1 x 15 for Ashdown 4 x 8 and 1 x 15 (Mini cabs).

This was a portability issue for me. Tonewise, I found the Ashdowns did at least everything the Trace Elliot cabs did.

I also had a Trace AH500 head briefly while I had my Ashdown ABM 500 (I still have the Ashdown with Ashdown cabs). I found that the Ashdown could do a good Trace impression by rolling off the drive in the preamp valve. My Trace head wasn't too bad at doping the Ashdown either, but just couldn't get quite as warm - the Trace still stayed a bit more hi-fi!

Not sure if this helps you. I've seen the Ashdown cab you are looking at, and my back winces at the thought of having to move it! ;)
  4. fleetwood

Aug 29, 2001
    Swansea UK
    Hi Johnny
    I just read your reply and noticed you had an ABM Mini15. I've got the ABM 500-15 Combo but since I've had my bad back these last 2 years I'm finding it too heavy. I separated the head ( made a new cab for it ) and when I use it now(which isn't often) it's as a head and cab. I still find the cab without the head heavy though so I do nearly all my playing with my EL 130-15. And at the moment that's borderline at 19kg's.
    How do you find the weight of the Mini15 in comparison to your EL130. I think the weight is about the same but I wondered if the shape made it more difficult or easier to shift around. Ashdown have said they would sell me an empty Mini15 cab so that I could fit my 15" speaker in it. I'm giving that some thought or maybe buying a complete mini15. I'm just not sure about the weight. I love the Ashdown gear and their helpful attitude but I thought once of selling it all and going for the Gallian Kruger lightweight 12"" at just 24lbs.
    I just have this horrible back problem to live with but I don't want to have to give up playing. It's aweful having to ask someone to give me a hand to lift my EL130 and then see them cart it off with one hand - just like I used to do.
  5. The weight is roughly the same between the EB130, and the Mini15.....however ,the EB130 only has one hadnle on top, which still puts strain on one side of your back at a time (I knwo about back trouble...been there seen it, and have spent a lot of money on chirpractic treatment), which isn't ideal. the Mini15 cab has handles at both sides allowing you to spread the load more evenly and because if this I find it more manageable! It might well be worth a look!