Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ashton cabs! are they good

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anaheim9000, Jul 19, 2004.

1. anaheim9000

anaheim9000

Jul 19, 2004
    i saw a ashton cab 800w for around $650 australian. what do you guys think about the ashton brand. any comments would be helpfull.

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    No clue what your talking about dude? Maybe you mean ashdown?

3. Hey man i read ya,

Ashton is an aussie brand.. designed here.. and made over in vietnam.. its the same for the amps, guitars and almost everything else they make.

Which ones were you looking at specifically? the 4x10? 1x15?
    Retailers are saying that theyre loaded with Custom made Celestions..

Personally i'd stay clear of em.. some other 'better brands' 4x10's or 1x15's show up on ebay for that price.. i think patience is a good thing.

Let us know what head your running with it

You might wanna check out Labsystems.. good stuff. and made here.. so its alot cheaper but the same standards as some American Brands.
    www.labsystems.com.au

Give me a shout out if you need more help mate.. !

4. Yeah, I agree with gazman_res.....it all seems a bit dodgy with Ashton

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Cheaper my foot. I was looking to replace a Labby amp I used for about 10 years before it died. I couldn't believe how expensive they've become.

If you want an Aussie brand that delivers excellent bang for your buck, hunt down some "Ebony" gear. It's a bit hard to find but well worth it. I bought one of their amps and liked it so much, I bought a second one with the money I saved. I was going to get a Gallien Kreuger 1001b but got 2 Ebony amps for the same money.

Their cabs arent bad either. I've never gigged them but I've tried them in a store. I liked the 600w 4x10. Together with the 15, it was huge.

6. I didnt mean Labsystems are cheap..

i mean they make decent cabs and theyre price is cheaper when you compare them with American Brands..

Eden, Mesa, Ampeg.. etc..

For peoples reference.. i asked about an SVT-2Pro..
    In the US. its $US - 2399.
    Here in the magical land of Oz where retailers pull inflated prices out of theyre asses its $5299.. (which converts into $US - 3886.29)

Ive heard good things about Ebony amps & Cabs from fellow ozzy bassists.. but i dont think they have website.. and hard to come by.. since most stores carry Peavey & GK gear..

I like GK Gear tho..
    I'm running Ibanez BTB 406 or Spector Euro Neckthru into a Boss ME-50B into GK400-210 combo..

quite nice... :D

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I had a chat with the manufacturer once (Audio Assemblers Australia). I bumped into him by accident at a trade show. He apparently has 7 or 8 dealers in the Melbourne area. Only one dealer in Sydney (The Bass Playuer at Annandale) because he liked the stuff so much he negotiated an exclusive deal. I didn't ask about the other states. They're listed in the phone book so you might wanna give them a ring to find a local dealer.

8. Thanks Peter.. (oy! its Poida)

I'm very tempted to follow up.. but im gonna stand by my GK for now..

But if you come across low priced GK gear.. lemme know!!!
    sweeeet! :D

9. well i tried a ashton 15" cab today, put it on layby to replace my imploded laney, brand new im getting it for $500, and its sounds good for what it is (mind you i am using a peavey mark3 with a kubicki), but it is celestion loaded, which doesnt bother me, and the build quality, i must say seems more stable than some hartke stuff ive seen, but the lab systems....i dont wanna buy something i cant try first, plus i cant get that kind of money so quickly, lab systems prices are comparable to swr workingmans series, but my first big amp was an ashton 150w combo, was good, but i didnt really like the preamp, but an ashton cab willl do until i get a better job and afford either a eden or swr rig...but really, i dont see any difference in an ashton cab that uses celestion and then a "posh" brand that uses the same speaker, just no point really

10. i called the bass player in syd yesterday, asking if they had any sovtek quaddies (my favourite cab ever) but they said that sovtek have changed names or something like that to mercury ( i think, souded like he could barely talk :p ) but he said they're gettin some in in a few weeks and they'll be about $600-$700 each brand new

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Barely talk? I wonder who that was? Talk to either Lincoln or Carl. Both are top blokes!

12. probably just my phone line, was a bit muffled...but lookout sydney, 2 geniouses there on monday, Steve vai and Me...ha ha ha, well maybe just 1, mr vai

13. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    Heath,

Pro Audio here in Canberra do the same line of amps ( same as ebony just called Pro Audio ), They do mail order too...

I got a 400w 2x12 + Tweet combo for $1600 late last year and it kicks freckle.. Even more when I stack it on top of a 1x15 box.

They do good deals & it's exactly the same stuff as Ebony ( Made by Audio Assemblers in Melb )...

http://www.proaudio.com.au will give you the details of what they carry.

Worth a look.

PS Poida, Got my Stingray a coupla weeks back ( Ash/Maple ).. Sounds killer through this rig.

Peace

Dan

14. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    They moved out to a new store & have changed the website & I can't find the gear anymore....I guess you could phone 'em if you're interested.

Sorry to have wasted your time :crying: :crying: :crying:

Dan

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I don't know if they're the same. Some poeple say the pre-amps are slightly different. I know for a fact they were upgraded on the Ebony's because the second one I bought kicked harder. I had to get the preamp changed on the old one to get them both sounding the same. It's my understanding the Pro-Audio amps didn't get the preamp upgrade. Either way they're very similar.

I Love my stingray. I'll probably never buy any other brand of bass ever again.

16. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    The guys down here seem to have a fair bit to do with speccing up the different models... Was in there yesterday, should have asked... D'oh

There was a whisper about a 600w all tube head for around $1000... Haven't heard anything for a while tho. If they do I'll be lining up.

I don't think I'm ever gonna need another Bass.....

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    meh..... tubes aren't my thing. I don't like the way they wolly everything up.

Either way I scammed my way into Entech , the big PA & lighting trade show they had a few months ago. Audio Assemblers had their whole range on display. There was noting there that resembled a tube amp.

18. Danm

Danm

Sep 24, 2003
    Canberra Australia
    What cabs do you use with your Ebony gear poida???

Don't you just love the way the 2 of us end up hijacking any threads from Aussies pushing our Audio Assemblers gear??

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

19. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've got several cabs and I use them all in various combinations:-

Eden 210xlt
    Nemisis 410
    Home made 15 with a JBL E145
    Home Made 15 Bass wedge with really old ATC speaker.
    Home made 210 wedge with P.Audio Neodymium magnets (very lightweight).

I usually open the boot of my car than think to myself "Which cabs will best suit the room?". For example, I'll just use the Nemisis 410 as a stand-alone for this weekends gigs because it both bands play at a reasonable volume, and all 3 gigs require lugging up several flights of stairs. The nemy is lightweight, loud and punchy, but a little bit lacking in lows. All 3 gigs have PA support so that's not an issue. I let the PA handle the lows.

I think too much huh?

20. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well I see you saw Steve Vai. That means you were in Sydney! Did you get to check out those speaker cabs?